Leupold wind Plex vs varmint reticle

mrmattjohnson

I am looking at the wind Plex reticle in a vx3 4.5-14x40 for my 22-250 for pdogs. Shots will be under 500 yards.

Anyone have experience with this reticle I am afraid it will be too thick for dogs.

I am used to a Leupold varmint Hunter reticle but they discontinued it in a 4.5-14.

Please help and compare those if possible

I have a windplex 3.5-10 vx3i that works fine on my 13” steel target out to 600 yards. But a p-dog at 600 might be covered up? Maybe not when you get to 14x? Sorry that’s not much help.

I have no experience with the varmint reticle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrmattjohnsonI am looking at the wind Plex reticle in a vx3 4.5-14x40 for my 22-250 for pdogs. Shots will be under 500 yards.

Anyone have experience with this reticle I am afraid it will be too thick for dogs.

I am used to a Leupold varmint Hunter reticle but they discontinued it in a 4.5-14.

Please help and compare those if possible

I just purchased the Leupold VX-3i with the Wind Plex reticle and will let you know, but it might be a few weeks. I think with a flat shooting 22-250, you are not going to worry too much about bullet drop/drift until about 500 yards, then you might have to dial. But remember, the wind holds would only apply when the scope is at full power. I designed my 22-250 to really only work up to 600 yards. If I want to destroy a coyote past that, I would just bring my 6.5 Creedmoor, but then, what's the point? Getting them in close is all of the fun and excitement I expect from predator hunting.

Originally Posted By: NevadaZielmeister

I think with a flat shooting 22-250, you are not going to worry too much about bullet drop/drift until about 500 yards, then you might have to dial.

Man I need one of these ! More info please ....

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: NevadaZielmeister

I think with a flat shooting 22-250, you are not going to worry too much about bullet drop/drift until about 500 yards, then you might have to dial.

Thanks

Tim, this is with the 50 grain Hornady V-Max's. Here is some ammunition you can buy if you don't reload: https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/22-250-rem-50-gr-v-max-superformance#!/

I will be hand loading so I suspect my results may vary somewhat, for better or worse.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: NevadaZielmeisterOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: NevadaZielmeister

Thanks

Tim, this is with the 50 grain Hornady V-Max's. Here is some ammunition you can buy if you don't reload: https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/22-250-rem-50-gr-v-max-superformance#!/

I will be hand loading so I suspect my results may vary somewhat, for better or worse.

Good luck!

With a 200 yard zero it's 13.5" low @ 400. Not magic, but not too bad either.

Like Nevada Z says, the 50gr Hornady V Max in the Superformance Ammo is fantastic. I have a slow 1:14 twist rate in my 22-250 and I’m shooting 1” groups at 200 yards. Yes 200 yards with a stock Ruger Hawkeye. I have some other handloads I need to go out and shoot but for a factory load the Superformance is pretty sweet.

Back