The Carver Calls are KILLERS!!

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
At the convention this year, I got the opportunity to buy some new calls from Casey Carver. I told him what I was looking for and he didn't hesitate recommending a call. SO I bought a couple, gotta help out the sponsors here on PM, and Casey is as great a guy as his dad.

I got the call because I wanted to start integrating more hand calling into my stands. I haven't really hand called for some time. But with everybody and their brother running around rolling Waning Jack from FoxPro, what did I have to lose?

Now, the calling around me has been a bit frustrating as of late. Several of the guys that I have taken out coyote hunting seem to think that they are magically blessed with Annie Oakley's shooting skills without having to spend any time on the range. I have seen too many coyotes getting educated recently. So I grabbed my gear and headed out on my own. I wanted to run the new hand call and I needed some new footage since it's been too long since I have posted a video for you guys.

The weather had gotten a bit nippy, and it was a nice overcast day. I figured that the coyotes would be rearing to go. I rolled into an area that is surrounded by fields. I walked out and placed my call out about 65 yards out. I had my back to a thick, brushy berm.
Picture1 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr
I started my CS-24 and let it roll a howl. With the sound of my howl still echoing in the foggy morning, I get a response from 3 or 4 coyotes coming from the backside of the berm I was backed up to. I knew I was in the right place, so it was time to give the Casey Carver call a run. I switched into some crows and gave the Carver call a few soft blows. I warbled as I was calling. I let it sit, with the crows going. I blew the call for a few more seconds. I let it sit. I then WAILED the call, warbled it and made it sound as pathetic as I could. As I was scanning I see a coyote coming over the berm to my right and from behind me. I switched the call over to something to keep it's attention. A little prey distress goes a long way. The coyote began to circle the call. Time to drop hammer.

I let loose with a soft howl and the coyote doesn't even break stride. It is still determined to get downwind of the caller. So I lifted the Night Stalker tripod and swiveled. I picked the end of a small line of brush and as the coyote cleared the brush I sent a 150gr, .308 right into the coyote. It is such a satisfying sound to hear the THWACK of a suppressed impact. The coyote started to spin so I gave it a couple of extra shots to put it down as fast as I could.

20191116_082828 v2 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

It was nice to finally see one on the ground again. I forgot how much fun hand calling is. Hope you enjoy the short video. I will have more to come, several coyotes fell victim to the Carver Calls.

Thanks Casey and Kerry!!

Originally Posted By: tripod3Love the THWACK, like a baseball bat hitting a pillow.

Nuttin quite like a good early morning meat report...or as we like to call it...the wet cabbage. Sounds like you're smacking a wet cabbage in a plastic bag against cement...

Just one of the many joys of suppressed hunting...

Originally Posted By: carvercallsAwesome replay Mo..

Thank you sir. I can tell where Casey gets his call making skills from. He makes some killer calls. Well done sir.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorVery nice. Congrats

Thanks. I used hand calls when I first started predator hunting. But I was a newb and wasn't good at setting up my stands properly so I had a lot of coyotes run right up on me. I have to admit that I have gotten lazy in recent years. I always carry hand calls with me, but I lean on my E-Caller.

I have always had some of Kerry's calls, so when I heard that Casey would be making calls, I wanted to help a good guy get off to a good start.

I had forgotten just how fun hand calling can be.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: lockrotorVery nice. Congrats

I had forgotten just how fun hand calling can be.

Your right Mo, Hand Calling can be very fun and rewarding..

Back