Six coyote day

Snowshoes

With the breeze out of the east once again this morning, I had a few pre-plan spots in mind to try call coyotes.
First location would be an area where I shot a triple, roughly a month earlier. Last time here, I had 6 or 7 coyotes come across the thin slough ice and today would be to see if I could coax any coyotes for round two. My view from where I set up.

A couple minutes of the e-caller playing cottontail distress, I see a coyote slowly making its way across the stubble field to the southwest. I can see its coming my direction and when it drops into a low spot, I move the rifle into position. The coyote tops a knoll and I can now see this is not a good looking coyote. A dark object on the slough catches my attention and there stands another coyote. I had ranged the reeds earlier where this coyote was now standing at 299 yards. A doable shot I suppose but I much prefer a closer target. The two coyotes are having a stare-off and I need to make something happen here, so I give some yelps which gets the one on the ice on the move. It’s angling towards me but keeps an eye on the other coyote the whole time. Once the coyote enters the reeds, I move the rifle back to its original position. The coyote clears the reeds and stops to see what the other coyote is doing. I have the cross hairs on its chest and with a touch of the trigger, coyote number 32 is on the ground. Ranged the shot at 184 yards

After collecting the coyote I drive 3 miles to another promising spot. Park the truck and begin walking north along a treed fence line towards a large slough that is surrounded by bush. I glance ahead of me and much to my surprise, I see a coyote walk out of the trees and is also heading north. I drop down and it’s then I notice I don’t have my bi-pod with. Oh great, now what! I try free-handing but the crosshairs are on and off the coyote more than I care for. A quick look to see if there is a tree branch close by proves negative. I take my stadium seat and stand it up which requires me to bend myself into a pretzel. Not the most elegant shooting position but it did steady the sights long enough for a shot.
The bullet finds its mark and I have coyote # 33 down. Turns out it was a pup, which explains a lot.
Never ranged the shot but thinking 160 or so.
I never called that area after shooting this coyote but will be heading back there this afternoon.

Had a good feeling about that spot where I shot the second coyote this morning & head back there this afternoon. Not expecting any long shots, I pack the 223 this time around. Walk the same trail with an ever watchful eye just in case a second one decides to venture out of the trees. Of course that doesn’t happen but a guy can always hope.
Following a coyote trail, I make a slow careful walk through the trees and then through 20 feet of cattails. After stepping out of the cattails, I take a quick look around for a good spot to set up. I see a spot a few yards away that looks good and head straight to it. There is still an east breeze and I’m set up on the west end of slough with the biggest bushes to the east of my location. I take a few ranges of various spots before the caller is put into action. Longest distance looks to be 229 yards.
My view to the east

My view to the northeast.

Start the caller off with vole squeaks which should have no issues reaching any keen ears but after a 5 minute wait, it was time to change up the sound with Cottontail distress. Within a minute, I have a coyote skirting the south edge of the cattails. Mute the caller and watch through the scope as the coyote shortens the distance. The coyote stops to look the area over but unknown to it, a 52 gr. Berger is on its way.
Later ranged the shot at 116 yards.

Pup distress kicks in with the Foxbang feature and here comes two coyotes out of the cattails to the northeast. I adjust the rifles position which stops the lead coyote. A 61 yard shot has the coyote down. The other coyote trots a few yards and stops to look back. Not a smart move on the coyotes part as another 52 gr. Berger finds it’s mark ( 72 yards)
The caller is still playing and I see two other coyotes almost inline with the two downed ones. I vocal howl which stops the one, it looks back, only to absorb a bullet to the chest from the 223. Chamber my last cartridge and take a running shot at the last coyote but that coyote lives to see another day. The last coyote shot was later ranged at 170 yards. It can be seen inline with the other two, just shy of the cattails.

Group photo

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the fine comments!
It was a good thing yesterday was a productive day for coyotes. Today was socked in with fog and I never seen a coyote.

Awesome hunt! Now how am I going to get through the rest of my workday?! I'm thinking skipping lunch and leaving early is in my future haha.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerAwesome hunt! Now how am I going to get through the rest of my workday?! I'm thinking skipping lunch and leaving early is in my future haha.
With things slowed up right now for Christmas, I was wondering why I was in my office all day today. I could have happily taken the afternoon off. Oh well,
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PrdtrgttrNice work snowshoes! I miss the days of the predator hunt Canada contest!!!
I too miss those days!! A great bunch of people there.

Back