AR Pistol for HAM Javelina Hunt? Y/N

DaisyCutter

I’m doing a HAM javelina hunt in southern Arizona in February.

Historically I’ve used a Super Blackhawk for this hunt, and either go with my usual buddy or just day hunt without camping. This year, because the unit is further south, I’m camping by myself, and to be honest, I get the heebie-jeebies our there Alone. Literally, if a pickup drives by too slowly, then I’ll pack up and move. It’s not that I’m afraid per-se. I’m career law enforcement, which makes it impossible to lower my guard like I can with a second set of friendly eyes nearby. On day hunts, I can just be vigilant until I get back to my casa. Camping alone, especially sleeping at night, is very unnerving.

So I’m contemplating bringing my AR pistol instead of a hog leg revolver, for added piece of mind (against would-be rapists).

The AR Pistol appears to be legal by Game Regulations, and I’d be using a 5 round mag during day hours (not that pistols have mag limitations). Honestly, I think the 223 is less ideal on a javelina than a 44 Mag up close. So I don’t see a hunting advantage. But I somehow I feel like it’s dirty or unethical using the AR pistol. I never envisioned hunting with an AR pistol. Frankly, I only bought it because of the, “I can’t believe it’s legal factor”. Hunting with it seems it’s gotta be breaking some rule?!?

Has anyone used an AR pistol to hunt?

Any tips for camping alone? FWIW I don’t have access to claymores or trip flares.

I use my 300BO pistol for deer hunting and coyote hunting all the time. It works great and I don't feel bad one bit using it for hunting. Just another tool in the toolbox. I can't help you with the camping thing.

Jon

What bullets are you thinking of using? My friend's son shot a decent sized whitetail buck with the 62gr.Federal Fusion round. When gutting it I was impressed with the damage it did. Granted, this was out of a 16" barrel.

Originally Posted By: HeyYouHandgun - Archery - Muzzle loader = HAM

Thanks... I think if I were hunting in that situation close to the border I would be concerned about safety. The AR pistol makes good sense.

Back