Cz or Tikka in .204?

jmerchant1

Hey guys, looking to buy a new rifle in .204 ruger for varmint hunting. Got it narrowed down to either the CZ 527 Varmint or one of the comparable Tikka models. I don't reload so looking for best quality and accuracy with factory loads out of the box.

Thoughts on which one to buy?

Thanks in advance!

I like cz's I've got a couple and they shoot really well one is a 6.5 grendel the other is a 204. That being said you can't go wrong with a tikka either I have a friend who has one in 233 and it's a nice shooter too. It's all personal choice

I don't have a .204 but have owned both CZ & Tikka.
The CZ's will shoot good as will the Tikka's.
I prefer the Tikka for a couple decades and the T3X has some appealing improvements to offer, especially the changeable grip.
Tikka's have a history of shooting almost any factory ammo well.
I have also shot factory ammo all my life until just recently having some loads made to test.

If you are going prairie dog hunting you will want one with a heavy barrel. As it will hold zero better when you shoot multiple shots If carrying it like coyote hunting. A lighter barrel would be better. Both cz or tikka are great. I have 3 204s. Will get an 11 twist barrel for one of them next. To shoot longer bullets.

I used to have a CZ 527 Varmint 204 that shot the Hornady Superformance 32gr Vmax extremely well. I sold it last winter to a good buddy of mine and it's been his "go to" coyote gun since.

Never owned a Tikka but I hear lots of good things about them so you probably can't go wrong with either one.

Probably can't go wrong with either one. Might just be a matter of preference on the feel of them (if you can handle in person first.) I'm partial to the CZs and especially like the Varmint weight for longer range shooting. Started with a 17H Varmint and liked it so much I went and got a 204 Varmint, then a 223 American and 22H American. All of them shoot fantastic with factory loads. My 204 (which is in the pics below with a temp camo wrap) shoots both the 32 and 40 grain Hornady factory vmax and the Nosler Ballistic Tips 32 or 40 very well. Maybe a slight edge to the 32s, but it's all so good it's virtually the same.

yote-10-3.jpg

fat-chuck.jpg

Where is old 2MuchGun when these "XYZ or Tikka" threads come up?

He used to jump right in and set the world right as far as Tikka rifles were concerned.
laugh.gif
I still buy them anyway.......

I've had a CZ 527 in .204 for almost ten years now. It's shot both Hornady 32 and 40's really well. The Berger 35's have also shot great. It's been lights out on coyotes and is a blast to shoot prairie dogs with as well. The weight feels right to me and isn't bad for packing around on foot either.

Both are excellent choices however my Thompson Center Venture will hold its own against either,and has the 1 in 10 twist,shoots anything from a 24 Hornady NTX,to a 45 Hornady Superformance soft point.I've had both rifles mentioned in other calibers and have zero complaints,but but Thompson can shoot.

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the CZ as I've owned a 527 American in the past and thought the quality was superb. Really like the factory set trigger as well. Will give the Tikka one last look before making my decision.

I have one of the first cz 204s with hs Kevlar stock, I would say it is the most accurate out of the box I have ever had, also have a tikka in 223 and it has the best trigger of any gun I own it is not as light as the cz set but it breaks like glass I wish all my rifles came with this trigger. The tikka will shoot second shot 1/4 from first then put third in first hole forth one in second hole, most groups end up two holes in 3/4" to 1" group, some day I will try glass bedding it I believe it would make it one heck of a accurate gun?

Originally Posted By: deathrayI have one of the first cz 204s with hs Kevlar stock, I would say it is the most accurate out of the box I have ever had, also have a tikka in 223 and it has the best trigger of any gun I own it is not as light as the cz set but it breaks like glass I wish all my rifles came with this trigger. The tikka will shoot second shot 1/4 from first then put third in first hole forth one in second hole, most groups end up two holes in 3/4" to 1" group, some day I will try glass bedding it I believe it would make it one heck of a accurate gun?
So of the two, (forgetting about the caliber difference) which would you rather have if you could only own one or the other?

What would I like better $100 bill or five$20 bills? I like wood better plus one tikka, you can get cz with wood now even, tikka better trigger ? Cz set trigger is nice you have to decide that one, cz is more accurate because of Kevlar stock steel bedding block? tikka shoots better than my three cz Americans and with a good bedding job may shoot as good or better than cz Kevlar varmint? Action on my 204 is rough but only have couple hundred rounds through it may smooth out? Tikka is supper slick! Cz all metal tikka has a lot of plastic kinda turns me off but has given me no problems.if they were both the same cal. And I wasn't going to carry it around I would keep the tikka, carry it around calling coyotes I would keep cz, I guess I am no help you need to try to handle both and pick the one you like best, I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

I shoot a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Remington and thoroughly enjoy the rifle and its accuracy. That being said, I have a hunting buddy that shoots a Tikka T3X Light and he swears by it. It is also a very accurate rifle.

I would get my hands on both of them and see which one trips your trigger.

Back