Hornady 17 cal 25 gr HP

Originally Posted By: Redleg84Originally Posted By: emptymagThere are some good threads over on saubier about this.

Some kid named Montana Mize in Texas bought the old woodchuck den/kindler gold dies.
Goes by the screen name CT17 I believe on saubier. Doesn't seem very promising though.

There is also a thread over there with some 17 cal bullets that have been sectioned. The Noslers seem to have a thicker jacket towards the base. I would think those would be slightly tougher.

How are the Nosler HP Varmagedons on fur?

Do you have a link to the thread with the sectioned bullets by chance?

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25828

Member DAA on this forum has a lot of info also.

He has site, coyotestuff.com that covers some 17cal info.

Last edited:

Rusty, how well do the V-Max loads work on coyotes? The 25 HP has been a stellar performer for me, and from reading these forums over a period of time, the 25's are highly regarded by a lot of others as well.

It bothers me to see Hornady drop this bullet. I know that the market and profits dictate a lot, but when standing in the shoes of hunters, the perspective changes. Hunters search for bullets that yield good accuracy as well as game-dropping results. After finding such a bullet, only to suddenly have it discontinued is bothersome. Such was the case with the Berger 25 gr. Target. A lot of hunters relied on that one. There aren't a host of 17 caliber bullets out there to choose from anyway, which leads one to wonder if Hornady really doesn't sell many of the 25 HP's.

While I understand market conditions etc., I admit I almost feel betrayed. Of course, I am standing in hunter shoes and one that has often praised Hornady and this bullet.

This thread made me go digging into my stock to see how bad off I really was. Much to my surprise I had a few 100 more Hornady’s than suspected and had 2 boxes of the magic Berger’s I didn’t remember. Apparently I stockpiled during the last shortage. It pays to be a squirrel sometimes I guess.

They only coyote that I ever shot with a V-Max was with a 40 grainer out of my .221 Fireball. I guess with a shot between the ribs the 25 grain V-Max would work fine though when using a .17 Remington.

Funny, 40 years ago the only bullet that I could even find for my .17 Rem was the 25 grain HP from Hornady. Now after many decades of production they quit making them. I guess that if the market is not there they will not keep them in the lineup. I will hang on to what I have for a while I think. But if I ever take my .17 Remmy on a coyote hunt that's what I will have loaded in it. Might even try it on some rock chucks that we have not too far from where I live. That be fun I think.

Kinda of a surprise, but the Cabela's I visited yesterday had a few boxes on the shelves of the 25 grain hp's. Some of them were in the old style boxes with the plain white wrapping rather than the shiny silvery new one.

Originally Posted By: obaroKinda of a surprise, but the Cabela's I visited yesterday had a few boxes on the shelves of the 25 grain hp's. Some of them were in the old style boxes with the plain white wrapping rather than the shiny silvery new one.

Our local D&B Supply has them sitting on the shelf too. Not a big seller in this neck of the woods though.

My local gun shop has about a case of the 50rd boxes of the 25gr HP on the shelf. I might have to grab a box when I pick up my cz varmint in 17 hornet this Friday.

Originally Posted By: emptymagMy local gun shop has about a case of the 50rd boxes of the 25gr HP on the shelf. I might have to grab a box when I pick up my cz varmint in 17 hornet this Friday.

Don't forget to give the 20 grain Vmax a go. They are my favorite bullet in my .17 Hornet. Killed a ground squirrel at 321 yard with it three days ago. Last time they were on sale I bought 20 boxes of them.

Chan Nagel, Blackhole Bullets, and Reed bullets would be great choices for a fur bullet now that Hornady has thrown in the towel with the ol' 25grhp.
Reed has quite a nice selection. He bought the Genco bullet equipment when Chappie stopped making his excellent bullets.

I have some 32gr Reeds RBBTs. I think he quit making the 32's, but I really need to shoot a coyote with them to see how they perform.

2mpd6kp.jpg

Picked up my 527 varmint today in 17 hornet. I even ended up with some decent wood!

You bet that is purty right there. I bet it shoots as good as it looks too. I sure got plans on wearing out a few squirrels with mine in a few days.

BTW. Dont you EVER post pictures of a tidy reloading bench again here! What if my wife sees it? I told her they were suppose to be messy all the time!
tt2.gif

tidy reloading bench, what is that? I segregate things into piles, don't mess with my piles!

Everything has it's appropriate pile to be in!

I do not like the 25g Hornady HP, going on record. Will pay twice the price for a bullet made on a J four jacket.

Reason, copper fouling.

Hornady twenty five grain tipped is the exception, have not shot those.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the 25gr. Hornady either, but I like the price of them. LOL
I have quite an assortment and supply of 25 and 30gr. 17 cal. bullets. Genco's, to Berger's, to Nagel's, to Blackhole Bullet. Any of those 4 brands work quite well for me and have for many years now.

Originally Posted By: shelton573Did they for sure quit making these bullets then?

Yes they did stop making them

Back