I think my gun is lucky.

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
So a little over a week ago I was walking to stand and slipped on the ice and took a little spill dropping my gun on the ice.
It was not a hard fall and I thought nothing of it until the next stand. A coyote stood broadside at 120 yards and at the shot he ran away. Closer inspection of the area revealed no hole in the snow nearby. Well crap. The target I shot afterwards revealed zero holes on paper at 100 yards.
Since then I have been packing my 220 swift around until there was time to sight the 222 back in.
1-2 stands a day after work since and not hide nor hair of a coyote anywhere.
Today after a short work day the 222 was sighted back in and ready for action. I checked my snares on the way which revealed 3 snared coyotes!
Happy about my snare check I settled down for my first stand. Not 5 min after squawling away on a new foxpro handcall a nice female came trotting over the hill. It was about as textbook as it could get. She dropped below a hill and let me move the gun into position. A small lip squeak as she crested the hill brought her to 105 yards where at the crack of the rifle she dropped. Makes a guy wonder if the rifle is just good luck!
IMG_20191215_152421 by brad , on Flickr
Tried 3 more stands and although no more dogs showed I located some excellent places for furure stands.
And as a bonus to the story I will share the pic of the last coyote I shot a while back. No big story to this one. Made a short series of calls and in moments this dog was standing at 60 yards ready to die.
IMG_20191129_162426 by brad , on Flickr

Last edited:
Some guns do just seem lucky. Killed on my first stand of the season, on my birthday, first stand with a new gun. Instant favorite.

Had the exact same thing happen late last year. Stepped in a ground squirrel hole and my .223 hit the dirt. Missed a 60 yard coyote the day after and that was my last hunt of the year. I just now have it sighted in again and ready to go try it out tomorrow. ( It was shooting 20 inches high at 100 yards!)

Been there, done that, and it hurts. Not the fall or hitting the ground, I am talking about the miss, that's what hurts.

Nothing like good lucky gear. It may seem oddly superstitious, but when I find lucky gear, I stick with it.

Originally Posted By: weekenderBeen there, done that, and it hurts. Not the fall or hitting the ground, I am talking about the miss, that's what hurts.

Like watching your ice cream slide off the cone onto the hot concrete. Long pokes and runners I can live through it's the close up broadsides that hurt the soul.

I have two "lucky" rifles. An ar and a bolt gun. They both hit whatever I am pointing them at. Like Mo said, I stick with them. I need all the luck I can get!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SnowshoesI can totally relate
smile.gif

You sure have some nice looking coyotes in your area
thumbup1.gif

Yeah I'm always amazed how different your coyotes are compared to mine with only a few hours distance away near as I can tell. I still hope to go for a south trip this year. I have a spot that has high probability of producing top lot coyotes.

Back