Late afternoon coyote down

fratri

The plan this afternoon was to do 2 sets at 2 different farms... Got to the first farm around 3:45, did a 25 minute set with no luck. Made my way to another farm, setup with only 25 minutes of legal light left.... did 2 rookie mistakes today....

This coyote comes out after about 5 minutes, I stop him with a loud "wolf" sound at 80 yds or so..... I take the shot and he drops....... I switch from dying rabbit to coyote pup distress and this coyote decides to get up and start running away, I follow him through the scope pull the trigger and hear click.....Rookie mistake #1, I didn't eject my first round and chamber another..... By the time I eject the round and chamber the new one in, he is over the rise.....

I sit there playing the coyote pup distress for a few more minutes before I decide to see if I can recover the coyote (how far did he go, is he dead?).... Rookie mistake #2 coming up..... Instead of me slowly getting up and looking around, I get up without thinking and there is another coyote in the field looking at me, he makes a quick turn and back into the bush he goes.....

My coyote had a strong will to live, even though he had a frontal chest shot that exited his far shoulder, he still made it 75 yds....

49225295636_3af8fbe246_c.jpg

49225521717_1122251649_c.jpg

49225521672_304b44cb77_z.jpg

49225355671_8c37b9f48f_o.jpg

Congrats on getting at least one. Doesn't it make you mad, when you make mistake that we know we shouldn't do. But still, WTG.

Good that you found it. Its always a relief after that time of uncertainty. Too bad about the second one, it had luck on its side.
Nice big coyote you got there, fratri!

Back