Off to a good start with the Nosler E-Tip.

OKRattler

Called one in around the 23 minute mark this morning. She came in and must've saw something or heard something she didn't like and took off. I turned the call off and barked and it stopped for a second. As I started to squeeze the trigger she took off again so I turned the call on a different sound. I had her in the scope and as she stopped on a fence line 125 yards away I dumped her in her tracks.

The wind was blowing just enough that it made holding the crosshairs steady a little more difficult off of the monopod so I hit a little further up than I'd have liked. I hit the left shoulder and it exited the offside shoulder. It left an exit wound about the size of a penny. So far I'm impressed with the 55gr Nosler E-Tip. I saw the hit in the scope and you talk about seeing terminal performance, man alive it shut that coyote down quick.

Same results yesterday evening. This time I hit behind the shoulder and again got an exit not much bigger than a penny. The bad thing it was mangey as all get out.

Originally Posted By: Bearwhat are you pushing those 55's out of?
Remington 700 ADL,24" 1:12 twist.

I center punched a coyote with the E-Tip today. Needless to say he didn't go nowhere at all. That's 3 down with this bullet so far. Plenty more are on their way to getting there. Stand by.

The real test will be on less than ideal shot placement such as running straight away or quartered away. I still have 37 rounds to go through so I'm sure I'll find out what they'll really do eventually.

I've been using the Barnes X,XLC or TSX for 27 years now, on big game and coyotes.

Coyotes get a 45gr XLC from my 22 Hornet.

Very similar results to yours, a very quick kill with a minimal exit wound, usually.

I did hit one that was facing me, on the left shoulder and the bullet looked like it just rode between the skin and the rib cage, leaving a 'rip' in the side about 12-15" long.

You should not have any problems with penetration, from any angle.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I've been using the Barnes X,XLC or TSX for 27 years now, on big game and coyotes.

Coyotes get a 45gr XLC from my 22 Hornet.

Very similar results to yours, a very quick kill with a minimal exit wound, usually.

I did hit one that was facing me, on the left shoulder and the bullet looked like it just rode between the skin and the rib cage, leaving a 'rip' in the side about 12-15" long.

You should not have any problems with penetration, from any angle.

I'm hoping they'll keep doing the trick for me. I'll probably take them to Texas and try them out on a hog or two. I've never really found a .223 bullet that will reliably kill them unless you shoot them in the head. I might even test them on a grey fox or two just to see if they're as easy on fur on them as they seem to be on coyotes.

Shot a feral cat with one the other day. It was sitting on its hind end at 100 yards. The bullet hit it in the chest and came out between its shoulder blades. Left an exit wound about the size of a golfball. Maybe a little bigger but it couldn't have weighed more than 7 pounds. That might give you an idea as to what it'll do to a fox. And obviously that hit bone so the damage was a little more excessive than it would be if it wouldn't have probably.

On a side note, I wish people wouldn't drop their cats off where I like to bird hunt. I saw 4 feral cats out there where I shot that one. It's no wonder I haven't seen any quail out there in a while. I guess somebody gave me something to shoot at but I'd rather have quail around than cats.

Last edited:
I've shot a couple foxes with the 45gr Barnes TTSX with tiny entrances and exits. Coyotes too. All DRT. Those light for caliber solid copper expanding bullets do very well but are expensive to shoot even for hand loaders.

Dadgum it you guys I shot a mangey coyote that got away with the E-Tip. I hit it in the guts I guess. It was quartered to me and I squeezed the trigger while it was walking. It was on the other side of a berm so when I shot it fell out of sight. I couldn't see to take another shot. From the way it sounded when I shot it was a solid hit. I wouldn't have thought it would get up and run but it did. That's the first one I've wounded with this bullet but obviously poor shot placement was the culprit.

Shot one quartered to me a few days ago. The bullet entered the shoulder. It fell and got up and turned around in circles about 6 times,took 5 steps and fell over dead. No fur damage,no exit. Broke the shoulder which was apparent but couldn't hardly even find a bullet hole.

Killed two more with the E-Tip. Called one in to 20 yards yesterday morning. Hit it in the throat and the bullet exited the back of its neck leaving an exit the size of a quarter. The last one I killed got hit behind the shoulder and the bullet exited its ribs on the opposite side leaving an exit a little bigger than the entrance wound. The coyote ran 60 yards before dying which really surprised me.

I hit another that I couldn't find. It was in really thick cover and it must've ran just far enough I couldn't find it. I'm going back to see if I can track it down around noon or so. I'll report back if I find it.

Last edited:
Killed my first red fox a few weeks ago with the E-Tip. I hit it just behind the shoulder quartered away from me and it exited through the chest. The exit wasn't much larger than the entrance wound.

Shot a big raccoon yesterday and it's the same story with it. Hit it behind the shoulder and the exit on the opposite side was about the same size. They seem to do fine on smaller critters.

Back