Air compressor skinning

Heymartay

Do NOT air coyotes up to much, they will pop. Unfortunately learned that on a nice Illinois yote, had it aired up he gave just a little more and sounded like a balloon popping. The whole side opened up stem to stern like you cut it with a knife. Bud felt bad ,had a great coat on her.

Air compressors for skinning? Unless you're entering it in the Macy's Day Thanksgiving parade what's wrong with the tried and true skinning knife?

I think a video of this blown up coyote is in order sir....
smile.gif

I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm always willing to learn something new

ETA - Just googled it...LOL. Pretty cool

Last edited:
Yea,it’s separates the skin from the meat to make it somewhat easier to skin. Anything is a help on coyotes and their are the some good videos on it .

Originally Posted By: beaverquackAir compressors for skinning? Unless you're entering it in the Macy's Day Thanksgiving parade what's wrong with the tried and true skinning knife?

Been there, tried it. It's kind of disturbing to see the coyote bloat up, start to sway and then the squealing starts from the holes. It was just creepy and did nothing to speed the process of skinning.

For as quick as it is supposed to be I wonder why not a lot of professional trappers or taxidermists use it. Hmmmm.....

I've tried it and didn't find it any faster either.

There's a beefy compressor hard mounted under my hood plumbed to a tank under the Jeep, with air chucks all around the rig. You can see the rear chuck in this pic, it's the blue circle (cover) between the bumper and the tub.

20151205_Coyote%20Hunt-7W.jpg

Didn't do onboard air for skinning. But since it was there and convenient, I tried it for skinning. Didn't do anything to speed up plunging the shoulders or knife work over the head. Might have made peeling down to the shoulders just slightly easier, but that's the easy part anyway.

Just my experience.

- DAA

The easiest way to skin something is to do it as quickly as possible after you shoot it. I have scars all over my hands from skinning coyotes that had a layer of ice under their skin. I've done my fair share of that in a shed with no heater. Not fun.

I just sell them whole now.

it only takes about 5 min.to skin one anyway if you do it when you shoot them,unless you were doing at home later when they were froze it would not be worth the trouble of packing a large enough air compressor around in you truck

Back