Hogster-R 35mm & 25mm Comparison Video

Kirsch

I've been promising this, and here it is. I didn't have anyone to help film, so the videos are not simultaneous but they are taken from the same angles at the same targets. The last portion of the video that shows some 50% humidity footage is pretty unreal for a 384 res thermal. A truck at nearly 2 miles shows up clearly as it drives down a local highway.

Thanks for taking the time to do that Kirsch. Very informative and the images look great. It certainly helps me decide which one would be best for my areas of hunting

Do you have the FOV labeled backwards on the video? Seems as the 2.0 would have the more narrow and the 1.4 the wider FOV?

I’m really liking what I see there great comparison, thanks Korey.

And I have a question about the PiP feature. Is that the only way to zoom or can you zoom the entire picture as well if not using PiP?

Also in that last night footage of the 25mm, that looked like a truck driving along the tree line, how far would you say that was?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weekenderDo you have the FOV labeled backwards on the video? Seems as the 2.0 would have the more narrow and the 1.4 the wider FOV? Weekender, thank you so much for catching that. I had the 35mm as the first scope on the screen on all the comparison videos, so I decided to match the external scope images. I forgot to move the FOV heading. Great catch. It is changed and back out there.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Thanks for taking the time to do that Kirsch. Very informative and the images look great. It certainly helps me decide which one would be best for my areas of hunting Please watch again, because I had the FOV label swapped. It doesn't change the videos or which has the wider FOV. Glad the video helped.

Hogster-R 35mm 10.7 x 8
Hogster-R 25mm 14.9 x 11.2

Originally Posted By: VanceAnd I have a question about the PiP feature. Is that the only way to zoom or can you zoom the entire picture as well if not using PiP?
No, PIP is not the only way to zoom. You can zoom the entire image with PIP turned on or without. There are 4 zoom levels for instance on the 35mm, they are 2x (native), 4x, 6X, or 8X. For the 25mm, the zoom levels are 1.4x (native), 2.8x, 4.2x, and 5.6X. The levels are 1, 2, 3, and 4 times native.

Originally Posted By: VanceAlso in that last night footage of the 25mm, that looked like a truck driving along the tree line, how far would you say that was? Good eye, yes it is truck. It was a little over 1,000 yards. Google Earth is my friend.

Distance.jpg

That’s pretty awesome, thanks Korey! Now if NG would just run some kind of Christmas / Veterans special on an already on sale product!
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Also I notice on the 25mm first video of the deer in close, there is a glow in the bottom center of the view. I am assuming this is some heat from the barrel possibly showing because of the wider field of view? If so how long is that barrel ? From the looks of the mount they use it looks like these sit pretty low? Or are they designed to sit up more for AR use?

Originally Posted By: VanceAlso I notice on the 25mm first video of the deer in close, there is a glow in the bottom center of the view. I am assuming this is some heat from the barrel possibly showing because of the wider field of view? If so how long is that barrel? From the looks of the mount they use it looks like these sit pretty low? Or are they designed to sit up more for AR use? I believe it was my suppressor that showed a little on the one video. I believe the barrel is 22" plus suppressor but don't have a tape measure with me.

I mounted mine on the Picatinny Rail of my AR, and on my .17 HRM, I have a Picatinny riser on there. It seems to fit the AR well.

Originally Posted By: VanceThat’s pretty awesome, thanks Korey! Now if NG would just run some kind of Christmas / Veterans special on an already on sale product!
thumbup1.gif
Tom is in charge of pricing. I know NG has a 7 day return policy, and ask him for the PM special price on shipping.

Kirsch - great video. Whats your thoughts on the Hogster verse like a pulsar apex?

I need to buy a buddy scope, I'm ok with it being a 384 core, but curious how this stacks up to other with the same core.

I have received some messages from people wondering if the 35 has a clearer picture than the 25. I believe part of this is due to the two units I was testing. I own the 35mm so I have an extended focus lever on it. Due to having this installed, I can really fine tune the focus. The 25mm has a smaller focus ring, and it was very cold and I had gloves on. I believe my focus wasn't as exact. I don't notice any major difference in clarity when using them. However, if looking at objects at a distance, the higher native mag will typically look better and show more detail.

Originally Posted By: BocephussKirsch - great video. Whats your thoughts on the Hogster verse like a pulsar apex?

I need to buy a buddy scope, I'm ok with it being a 384 core, but curious how this stacks up to other with the same core.
Both are 17 micron, 384x288 res thermal images, so similar image specs.

However, I prefer the size, base, warranty (4 years on Hogster vs 3 years on Apex), battery options, and ability to handle higher humidity of the Hogster-R 35mm vs the Apex XQ38. The Hogster also has color palettes and reticles and the XQ series does not. The Apex was/is a good scope, but they aren't manufactured any longer. The Hogster can be a scope and/or a good scanner due to the compact size. If someone gave me the choice between the two scopes, I would choose the Hogster and did as I own one.

Just an FYI, Bering Optics ran some cold weather testing on the Hogsters and lowered the temp rating down to -14F.

As far as id'ing a critter, max 200 yds, most shots being 100 or less, is there an advantage of the 35 over the 25?

I have a thermal scanner, would like a sight, budget and warranty has it narrowed down to one or the other.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleAs far as id'ing a critter, max 200 yds, most shots being 100 or less, is there an advantage of the 35 over the 25? Based on your criteria, it is close. I prefer the scope base and the endcap of the 35. I typically say if mostly scope and occasional scanner, go with the 35. If mainly scanner, and occasionally scope, go with the 25. The big question is based on your closer range work, is the 35mm worth an additional $500. This is a tough call. With most shots being 100 yards or less, maybe save the money and go with the 25mm.

The other question is terrain. If you hunt a lot of cover such as trees, brush, etc, the extra FOV of the 25mm would be helpful. You can always use the PIP to take a 200 yard shot if needed.

Korey, great review and comparison. Appreciate your time and effort in that. The view through the scopes certainly do look good. It does appear that the 35mm is somewhat more detailed or crisp with image, but it may be due to other circumstances.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Korey, great review and comparison. Appreciate your time and effort in that. The view through the scopes certainly do look good. It does appear that the 35mm is somewhat more detailed or crisp with image, but it may be due to other circumstances.

Some people have been commenting the 35 appears to have a clearer picture than the 25. I believe part of this is I own the 35mm so I have an extended focus lever on it. Due to having this installed, I can really fine tune the focus. The 25mm has a smaller focus ring, and it was very cold and I had gloves on. I believe my focus wasn't as exact. I don't notice any major difference in clarity when using them. However, if looking at objects at a distance, the higher native mag will typically show more detail.

Back