Adventures in Wolf Hunting

Awesome, I need to jump in the pickup after my kids get their tags filled and go West a few hours and give this a try! A friend did kill a good male just out of town here last year but they are very few and far between.

congrats and thanks for taking the time to share the story. Sounds exciting for sure and makes me want to do it. Maybe, just maybe, someday.

Excellent hunt! :)

Lots of Wolves called in my Alaska days .... .17 Remington w/ 25 gr. Hornady HP properly placed does fine ..... as it did for a Mountain Lion on my wall that I called in and bagged years ago in Arizona.

Out and about Wolf hunting where very long range shots beyond 600 are common I use a .243 Ackley Improved w/ 87 gr. Hornady V-Max, running a 300 yard zero.

If its gonna be closer in with a pack involved, my cats' meow is an
AR in 6.8 SPC running 100 gr. Nosler Accubond .... you are always playing the odds.

Cas in Wyoming.

What a GREAT listing you gave us on your hunt and harvest of this wolf. Please share share some more pics of the area where you were hunting. It was also great to hear that you were using voice howling with these wolves. I have been using combinations of coyote voice howling and with my open reed calls with great success. Were you able to get a scale weight and any measurements of this wolf?

It was about 65 yards.... quartering away ..... I put the bullet behind the right shoulder .... and what happened was it clipped the forward rib and tumbled into the chest cavity --- lion ran maybe a hundred yards.... then dead as a doornail.

It was a good hunt. :)

Cas

Originally Posted By: Western Rifleman
Excellent hunt! :) Lots of Wolves called in my Alaska days .... .17 Remington w/ 25 gr. Hornady HP properly placed does fine ..... Cas in Wyoming.

Wow, I never would have imagined that a 25 grain .17 caliber bullet would be good for anything bigger than prairie dog, fox, maybe even a broadside coyote out to 125 yards. I would guess that you have to be pretty patient to get the perfect broadside shot and avoid hitting a rib when using a rig like that on animals that weigh 100 lbs. I would love to see your pictures of some Alaskan wolves. They always seem to be a little heavier built than the ones here in Montana.

I think every predator hunter on the planet is jealous. Does the ar feel as good in your hands as a regular stocked type rifle does? What camera did you use? My blood roars when Im unclose and personal just with coyotes. I couldn't imagine what it would be like with wolves! Great story & pics! Congrats!

Back