Ravine triple

Snowshoes

After a few days of zero F temperatures and light snow, I was looking forward to going to my favorite spot to try call coyotes. Setting up in the ravine and looking towards the river is a view I never tire of.
With a patch of buck brush at my back and calls in place, it was time to start.
My view to the south

My view to the east

Start off with a couple howls which echoed throughout hills and valley below. After 5 minutes or so, I flood the countryside with a short burst of rabbit distress which draws a coyote in from the southwest a minute later. I zoom up the scope and when the coyote stops to look the area over, I send a bullet on its way. The coyote drops in its tracks and I then quickly follow up with some yelps. I catch movement roughly 500 yards to the east and at first glance I thought it to be two coyotes running away but a closer look proved otherwise. I go to move the rifle into position when I notice my first coyote getting to its feet. Once again the crosshair are placed on the coyote chest and this time the shot puts the coyote down for good.
Now I fully expect the pair to the east to be gone but much to my surprise, they are just standing there. Some more yelps has them on track again and when they drop into a small dip, I reposition the rifle & lower the scopes power setting. Soon they reappear and after the third vocal howl, I get them to stop. Crosshairs on the lead coyotes chest, a bullet is sent on its way. Coyote # 2 down.
The other coyote turns tail, and start cutting uphill to the north. Two vocal howls stops the coyote and I waste no time getting the shot off. Coyote # 3 down.
Ranged the first coyote at 143 yards and the first shot was high on the back.

The lead coyote of the pair, shot at 68 yards (female)

The third coyote (male) shot at 121 yards.

Originally Posted By: JimmerABFantastic shooting, SS!

Jim
Thank you Jim, It wasn't a good day to be a coyote from the ravine district!

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWe understand why its one of your favorite spots. Congrats on another great hunt.
Thank you lockrotor, have called this spot over the past 35 years and it never seems to get old
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerBeauty hunt!nice shootin!
Thank you Yotarunner, the fresh snow and colder temperatures was very much welcomed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ThreewolvesYou are right about the view. Paul
An approaching coyote just adds to the view
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteGreat story and awesome shooting! You live in some great country.
Thank you and yes, there is a fair variety of land terrain to hunt nearby.

Back