Budget e-callers

Links

So I haven't posted in some time. I'm on a mission of testing out the budget e-callers on the market. I do own a foxpro wildfire and hellfire. Both have served me fairly well, but remote range is quite poor on them. The sound on these two callers is crystal clear and loud enough to call critters from prairie to pine. There are newer foxpro callers in this price range with better remote range, but on these two 45 yards was about it unless elevated on tripod, then 75 yards was doable. These have been my work horse callers, especially the hellfire. I've like foxpro coyote vocals and most of their distress sounds are good. I never cared for any of their Cottontail sounds, except eastern Cottontail has called in some dogs. Jackrabbit, whitetail fawn and Lucky bird have all done well for me.

For something to do in the last month I purchased Johnny Stewart GS2, Primos Dogg Catcher and Icotec GC320. First I will say I fell in love with the GS2. Rabbit distress sounds are the gold standard and are crystal clear. Pup distress is dynamite as well. Coyote sounds are fair but not great. The handle moves up and down and can hang in tree easily. With lithium ion batteries it worked flawlessly in -6 degrees today and I got 75 yards with range of remote. Volume seemed louder than Wildfire but not quite as loud as hellfire.

Primos dogg catcher has some neat features. It is plenty loud. Coyote vocals are good. Rabbit distress sounds "tinny" especially Jackrabbit. Cottontail is usable, baby cotton and jack are better. Woodpecker and fawn are good. Remote is simple to use and I got 50 yards out of remote. I really like the simplicity of the remote.

The icotec was very disappointing. I'm thinking I got a bad one. Sounds were very distorted. I wanted to like it cause I tested remote to line of site and it worked well over 100 yards, but the sound was just not good.

Overall, I'm just ecstatic about the quality of the sound out of the GS2. I've wanted the Johnny Stewart distress sounds for awhile and I got 20 of them from APC and I believe the unit cost less than $130 with shipping. There are better deals I'm sure but it is worth it.

Back