70 grain Barnes TSX

6GUNSONLY

Anyone tried these (in .223) on hogs? I loaded 50 of them tonight and want to give them a go. Yeah, I got bigger guns, but my little Colt 6920 is just so dang handy and my green shooting light is on it. Just wondering what your experience has been, if any.

I know this doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I can shed some light on TSX bullets in general. If you can get good accuracy then that should be a fine bullet.

I have used the TSX in 308 for hogs, 7mmSTW for antelope and mule deer, and 338 Win Mag on a whitetail deer that did less damage than you would expect from a 30-06. My son uses them in a 300 Rem Ultra Mag for hogs and deer. In those rifles the accuracy is great and performance equally impressive. I have not tried the TSX in a 223, but my 6x45 AR did not like them. I had hopes for the 6x45 on hogs, but ended up using my go-to bullet, a 75 gr. Sierra HP., which drops them on the spot with a behind the ear shot, plus it’s cheaper.

Performance from the TSX is generally drop-right-there. Overall it’s a great bullet, but granted not always necessary. There are many conventional bullets that will give good performance on hogs (and other game) and will be easier on your wallet. For me, the cost is worth the accuracy and performance.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1In general,the best performance of the Barnes happens when you can keep the velocity up.
Very true. Barnes suggests to not drop below certain velocities. Good velocity is what makes the TSX shine.

My buddy dropped a 272lb sow with a Barnes 70gr TSX loaded with Varget. It was an Ar15, 556 nato, 1/7 twist with a 16bbl. It was a neck shot and dropped her like a sack of potatoes. Shot placement is key.

Last edited:
I am using them in my 223 Wylde w/1-7 twist 16" long. I have hit 2 at once and even when I did a marginal shot it brought them down. I normally go for the neck and of course have excellent results. Did hit one once on the run and it was low in the chest. It looked like it ripped the big hole in that pig. (jagged cuts in the exit wound)
Testing these into water jugs,,,, They opened up to a "Fan Blade" looking deal on the end of the bullet. The same thing happened with the 250gr in my 454.
Wish I could post photos here.

Also had a man using the 300 blackout with the Barnes 125gr, and it really blows a hole in them wherever it hits. One of his shots was behind the ear, but just a little high. It looked like a baseball size chunk was taken out of the neck.
Yes!!! shot placement is always paramount, but you can't go wrong with these bullets.

Why such a heavy bullet? With copper solids, the general rule of thumb is to drop down to a lighter weight compared to lead. Since copper solids retain 99% of their weight, they penetrate very well like a much heavier bullet. The lighter weight copper solid will have a higher muzzle velocity which is needed for proper expansion at distance. Most ttsx calibers require around 2000 fps minimum impact velocity for expansion. Since you selected the heavy 70gr ttsx, you're only starting out with 2600-2700 fps at the muzzle with a 16" Colt barrel. You'll drop below the threshold at 200 yards, leaving you with a maximum effective range of 150-175 yards tops. Even at full expansion, a 70gr ttsx will not be any larger than an expanded 55gr or 62gr ttsx. So why go with the heavy bullet and lower velocity? You're limiting your effectiveness for no apparent reason.

Dropping down to a lighter ttsx will extend your range snd also likey increase the effectiveness of the bullet. A key part of the ttsx's effectiveness is velocity.

I could not get the 70's to shoot that well. The 62's on the other hand shot great with a compressed load of H4895.

I do remember AA2230 giving the highest velocity of all the powders i tested (70gr TSX)

Seems i had those 70's going over 2800fps + with a Colt 6920 barrel. That is smoking fast out of a carbine. It can be done though. 1-2 MOA or so.

Plenty good enough for 100 yard shooting.

Back