What thermal scanner??

KjBeachy

Just curious what's out there that's decently priced. All I need is something that pics up coyotes body heat at 500 yards or so, then I switch to my night vision. Is there any sub 1k thermal scanners?

That's a tough one. Under $1000 thermal that will detect an animal at 500 yds, probably not. But for less than $2000.00 you can get a new FLIR Scout ll 320 that should give you an honest 3-400 yd. detection in ideal conditions. Not the best image, and not the latest technology, but they work.
I have tried a few different scanners and I still use a Scout 640 because of the reliability.

Last edited:
I'd be interested as to what others think on this as well. I shoot with night vision but get tired of swinging the rifle around. Only really need to detect out to 250 or so

Under 1K you are either looking for something very used or Flir TK or Luepold LTO. Neither are great options but are ok for extremely close and low humidity.

Save your money and go 640 core. So much more enjoyable and worth every dime. You spend all you time looking through the handheld. I'd be looking at a helion xp38 or used 28. Too bad Pulsar discontinued the 28 imo they are the bee knees. No one regrets too much thermal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KjBeachyWhat about the bering hogster for s scanner? Absolutely. I would have mentioned but you said no to the Flir for under 1K due to price, If truly for scanner only, would probably recommend the Hogster-R 25mm. If scope and sometimes a scanner, then the 35mm.

The reason I said no to the flir was currently i cant afford it. Give me a month and I could have. But it will proly e sold by then

Axion key has really good range , alot of options, price point is low. 1600ish for xm30. Fov isnt the greatest but hasnt been an issue

Look for a used Pulsar HD or XD19A. Large FOV and excellent at detection. Have 2 and an XP28. Still use them for 90% of my scanning because of their FOV.

Back