Ritchs Precision Guns

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3223150 - 12/17/19 12:25 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Wyodogger]
trshootem Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Helena, MT
I use the Hornady One Shot Cleaner/Lube(not the case lube!) for my AR' innards this time of year. It also really works to clean mags and springs, USPSA Carry Optic pistol gets the grip, trigger/sear and all the inner workings sprayed and then nylon brushed clean. I don't have malfunctions unless I missed a bad case in my ammo check while loading all my clean mags. Just last night I cleaned several rifles, spray down the disassembled carrier, spray a bit on a large patch attached to a nylon brush to wipe down the inside of the receiver. Cold weather is a non issue, only out of spec reloads will cause some lock up. A light touch of Slip EWL on the carrier rails insure a smooth running gasser.

#3223213 - 12/17/19 06:22 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: trshootem]
SnowmanMo Online
Director/Moderator

Loc: Phoenix, Az
Originally Posted By: trshootem
I use the Hornady One Shot Cleaner/Lube(not the case lube!) for my AR' innards this time of year. It also really works to clean mags and springs, USPSA Carry Optic pistol gets the grip, trigger/sear and all the inner workings sprayed and then nylon brushed clean. I don't have malfunctions unless I missed a bad case in my ammo check while loading all my clean mags. Just last night I cleaned several rifles, spray down the disassembled carrier, spray a bit on a large patch attached to a nylon brush to wipe down the inside of the receiver. Cold weather is a non issue, only out of spec reloads will cause some lock up. A light touch of Slip EWL on the carrier rails insure a smooth running gasser.

LOL....had a guy do just that. He asked what to use, then went to a big name box store and grabbed him some One Shot Lube. Then started texting that the rifle was misfiring. When we got a hold of it, it was GOOPED up. When we had him send us a pic of the "lube"...it was case lube.

Mama always said, coyotes are like a box of chocolates...

#3223320 - 12/17/19 11:54 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Wyodogger]
mserman Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Upper Peninsula MI
Dry bolt carrier, bolt and upper receiver with a clean rag. Sit on your couch like a psycho for one hour a night cycling your weapon repeatedly. After one week that action will be like butter.

#3223456 - 12/18/19 08:40 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Wyodogger]
jcs271 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Montana Territory
I have had good success with Rem oil. BUT I draw the line at -10. Any colder than that, I can find something else to do! smile

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

#3223459 - 12/18/19 09:17 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Wyodogger]
mnblaster Online
Seasoned Member

Loc: Minnesota
I run a bolt most of the time but when I use my AR I run it dry

#3223499 - 12/18/19 11:48 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: mnblaster]
Shaun Simma Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Wisconsin
When its cold out, below 20, i find i need to run then BCG dry and clean it more frequently than when temps are above freezing. It seems that when it gets cold the gasses, powder residue and the oil mix together and form a black paste that makes the bolt malfunction.

So after about every 20 rounds being fired i break down the BCG and clean it.

Just my $.02

#3223507 - 12/19/19 01:16 AM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Shaun Simma]
DiRTY DOG Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: West
Originally Posted By: Shaun Simma
When its cold out, below 20, i find i need to run then BCG dry and clean it more frequently than when temps are above freezing. It seems that when it gets cold the gasses, powder residue and the oil mix together and form a black paste that makes the bolt malfunction.

So after about every 20 rounds being fired i break down the BCG and clean it.

Just my $.02
The OP asks for a solution, and you offer your method which also does not work.

You could keep doing it the hard way. Some people actually prefer the old fashioned miserable hard way because that's the way they always done it and it's comfortable. Or you could use a modern dry lube like Hornady One Shot.

#3223600 - 12/19/19 06:19 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Wyodogger]
Rock Knocker Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Buffalo, MN
I really want to try some of the one shot but I have only seen it at a local shop once and that was years ago. The reviews and back yard comparisons I have seen are excellent.

Cerakote itself is supposed to be a dry lube but they have a special dry lube cerakote also. That would be great to try out. I have a nitride BCG that I think is the bee's knees, with 2 stroke oil the whole action cleaning process is a wipe down with a rag, I lube liberally and everything stays liquid even after a month of rolling around the snow.

#3223638 - 12/19/19 11:46 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Rock Knocker]
Shaun Simma Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Wisconsin
Dirty Dog thanks for the input. Sounds like your pretty passionate about the One Shot solution. When using One Shot about how many rounds do you feel you can fire out of the gun before breaking down and cleaning your BCG.

I plan to order some One Shot as soon as i post this reply.

#3224914 - 12/28/19 10:44 AM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Wyodogger]
Wyodogger Offline
Predator Master

Loc: WY
Thanks again for your $0.02, everyone. Here's the latest. Although there wasn't much residue, I cleaned it well with a dozen or so Q-Tips, then lightly lubed it with FP-10. I've left it outside in the recent 0-degree weather, and it's cycled (manually) well the last few mornings. It also cycled well when I ran half a dozen rounds through it at the range last week at 5F.

Will post an update the next chance I get to fire it at 20-30 below zero.

#3225139 - 12/29/19 11:32 AM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Wyodogger]
NE223 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Nebraska
I use Mobil One, haven't had a problem down to -10 and colder than that I find something else to do.

#3225221 - 12/29/19 05:28 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Shaun Simma]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
Originally Posted By: Shaun Simma
Dirty Dog thanks for the input. Sounds like your pretty passionate about the One Shot solution. When using One Shot about how many rounds do you feel you can fire out of the gun before breaking down and cleaning your BCG.

I plan to order some One Shot as soon as i post this reply.

while running suppressed... my bcg tends to get pretty grody after 300-400 rounds - ish. but i'm probably dumping 2x the grit down there that an unsuppressed gun would too.

#3225223 - 12/29/19 05:31 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: NE223]
Bob_Atl Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: in the field, or not..
Originally Posted By: NE223
I use Mobil One,..
Me too.
.... rule #9 ....

#3225378 - 12/30/19 12:34 PM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: Bob_Atl]
Wyodogger Offline
Predator Master

Loc: WY
FWIW I recently talked with a Wyoming state trooper re. what they use on their ARs. He said, "A little Rem Oil."

#3226217 - 01/03/20 10:35 AM Re: AR freeze-up in cold weather [Re: the noobie]
willy1947 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ohio, Ohio
Originally Posted By: the noobie
Since when does CLP not lubricate? All I run is CLP in my defensive carbines. Thousands of rounds later and they still look good.

Couple carbine courses I have taken the instructors also ran CLP.

I have used this for years with my AR's. The first lube I got from my D.I. was 1 part motor oil and 4 parts kerosene. CLP is much better.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SnowmanMo 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.