AR freeze-up in cold weather

Wyodogger

Thought maybe some of you could help me with malfunctions that sometimes crop up with my AR (technically, an Olympic Arms UMAR in .22-250) in cold (20F and below) weather. It sometimes fails to completely feed a follow-up round, but the last time I went out (15F), the bolt locked back after the first shot and I had to hit the mag release.

I don’t think ammo’s an issue, because they check out fine in my case gauge, plus shells fall into the chamber fine if I point the rifle barrel down and drop them in.

Freeze-up due to condensation isn’t an issue because I keep the rifle in an unheated garage and it rides in the back of a truck on the way to the field.

Someone said to lube with FP-10 because it’s rated to -49F, but the problem still persisted, so I wiped down the bolt and inside of the upper and now run everything “dry.” (Because I only shoot the rifle a few dozen times a year, I’ve been told that “running dry” won’t be a problem.)

Have any of you dealt with this issue? Anyone can chime in, of course, but I’d especially like to hear from those who hunt in SERIOUSLY cold climates. (Sometime it gets down to -40F here.)

I live in nw Colorado have never had this issue in either of my ar I use grease just mystic # 1 a little on the four spots on bolt carrier and cam pin . Your bolt locking back might clean lower with power scrub or similar. My buck mark would not function near zero scrubbed and lubed with the arisol clp could be a similar problem on your rifle. You probably know but debris in buffer tube and or magazine can cause issues carbon can build up in upper receiver slowing bolt down.hope you get it solved

I normally use CLP on my AR's in the summer, but I learned the hard way that it'll turn your AR into a single shot when temps get below zero. When it gets that cold, I'll clean all the CLP out of the BCG and use a light layer of Rem oil for lube. Rem Oil is a much lighter oil, and it wont gum up like CLP does. If you're just hunting, you're not gonna fire enough rounds to do any damage - even if you're pretty sparing with the oil application.

When I was hunting eastern MT it could get cold. I ran dry with just a little rem oil on the gas rings and BCG rails. CLP my usual go to was too sticky in the cold temps.

I use very little lube here in N.D. and I use them a lot in the full moons. One thing I do is clean the bolt real good wit rubbing alcohol. Then a few drops of Break free. And never load the mags up to full. If its a 10 rd I only put like 6 or 7 rds. Seem like if something is going to happen it will when its cold.

Hornady One Shot cleaner and lube is probably the best lube for all hunters in all conditions. Hot, cold, wet, dry. It beats every lube mentioned here in lubricity/friction, rust prevention, anti-freeze, etc. Research it and try it. It's pretty good stuff.

But, it's not a traditional "wet" lube so most people won't even consider it.

Stihl synthetic 2 stroke oil for me and my buddies.

Whether its 90 degrees or -25 it's pretty much the same consistency and my chainsaw takes way more of a beating over the winter than my gun so it's got to be good.

Great question. Based on my experience I have come to believe the answer is to switch to a bolt gun. I haven't tried some of the suggestions and it's probably colder where I'm hunting but will be interested to hear if you find something that works for you.

Maybe it goes without saying but I would also suggest keeping your rifle clinically clean. Like service it after every outing whether you think it needs it or not. Good luck!

As you can see, there are a few people having trouble with CLP. I used it for years until I start shooting a lot, then realized that this stuff was really no good. It is a cleaner really and does not lubricate. Another trend on this thread is that some people just use regular oil, which is completely correct. Even Mobil 1 Synthetic works really well.

I personally use Lucas Oil as this provides the best lubrication in all conditions.

One thing, please do not run your AR-15 dry. Please. Just don't. The worse thing you can do.

Since when does CLP not lubricate? All I run is CLP in my defensive carbines. Thousands of rounds later and they still look good.

Couple carbine courses I have taken the instructors also ran CLP.

Agree with running it dry, or nearly so, for your situation.
I use synthetic motor oil, only a drop on the BCG rings and each bolt lug.
Don't have the cold that you do, but have been out overnight when it dropped well below zero.

ps: had a mentor back in the 70s tell me if you can see the oil, its too much.

Also, is the buffer and buffer spring doing its job?
Oil/grease in the buffer tube could get sticky at those temps.
I'd go dry in there too.

I use the Hornady One Shot Cleaner/Lube(not the case lube!) for my AR' innards this time of year. It also really works to clean mags and springs, USPSA Carry Optic pistol gets the grip, trigger/sear and all the inner workings sprayed and then nylon brushed clean. I don't have malfunctions unless I missed a bad case in my ammo check while loading all my clean mags. Just last night I cleaned several rifles, spray down the disassembled carrier, spray a bit on a large patch attached to a nylon brush to wipe down the inside of the receiver. Cold weather is a non issue, only out of spec reloads will cause some lock up. A light touch of Slip EWL on the carrier rails insure a smooth running gasser.

Originally Posted By: trshootemI use the Hornady One Shot Cleaner/Lube(not the case lube!) for my AR' innards this time of year. It also really works to clean mags and springs, USPSA Carry Optic pistol gets the grip, trigger/sear and all the inner workings sprayed and then nylon brushed clean. I don't have malfunctions unless I missed a bad case in my ammo check while loading all my clean mags. Just last night I cleaned several rifles, spray down the disassembled carrier, spray a bit on a large patch attached to a nylon brush to wipe down the inside of the receiver. Cold weather is a non issue, only out of spec reloads will cause some lock up. A light touch of Slip EWL on the carrier rails insure a smooth running gasser.

LOL....had a guy do just that. He asked what to use, then went to a big name box store and grabbed him some One Shot Lube. Then started texting that the rifle was misfiring. When we got a hold of it, it was GOOPED up. When we had him send us a pic of the "lube"...it was case lube.

Dry bolt carrier, bolt and upper receiver with a clean rag. Sit on your couch like a psycho for one hour a night cycling your weapon repeatedly. After one week that action will be like butter.

I have had good success with Rem oil. BUT I draw the line at -10. Any colder than that, I can find something else to do!
smile.gif

Back