N-Vision LR 50 thermal !

Alan D

looked through one last night and was not impressed ! So glad I did not purchase a used one I found on another site . Native power looked ok but after you zoom to next power things got real fuzzy . so long range shooting is out . settings were ajusted correct ! we were comparing Trijicon IR Hunter 60mm side by side to N-Vision LR50 . Also after the first shot scope was shut off . not impressed with N-Vision Halo .

Interesting........ First I've heard of someone not liking the N-Vision. Now that they've been out a while I've been been wondering how folks still like them compared to Trijicons. I've been thinking about turning my Mk2 into a buddy scope and purchasing a new one. NVision was definitely in that grouping.

All videos that I have seen of N-vision looked good ! But never noticed if they were zooming during videos . we were looking at deer 500 to 600 yards away and once we zoomed the LR 50 they would get fuzzy . I looked through N vision at my house in back yard and thought it looked fine but out in the field no so much at distance . Close range is great but scope is LR for long range .

Hmm. Lone Star Boars has access to both and historically was a huge 60mm Trijicon fan until he got the NVision.

Me thinks I would fare more on his opinion with extended use and time behind both scopes compared to u glancing thru one once

I follow Todd on Facebook as well, and always look forward to his video's and reviews.

Sure wish I had his collection of equipment..................

I actually thought the opposite. I've owned both an MK35 and MK60 and currently I'm running a Halo LR and the Halo is definitely better than the MK35 and I would also give the image quality of the Halo just a slight edge over the MK60. I do still like the turrets of the Trijicon over the buttons of the Halo though.

I have Halo LR, pard has 60 I really like the halo, but I will say. I don’t see a difference at all in the actual IMAGE clarity

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: birmi1nrI actually thought the opposite. I've owned both an MK35 and MK60 and currently I'm running a Halo LR and the Halo is definitely better than the MK35 and I would also give the image quality of the Halo just a slight edge over the MK60. I do still like the turrets of the Trijicon over the buttons of the Halo though.

I've been running the MKIII60 for years and it's still the pinnacle, the Halo LR is good but not MKIII60 good IMHO. A Lot has to do with the germanium and size. I prefer the extra 1.5x the MKIII gives me over the Halo LR.
But I'm really interested to see how much of a gap filler the Halo is for us over the REAP with 2.5x, that's where I feel we'll get more stacked.

It's is a great optic and priced very well. I'll be posting a bunch of footage of both on the YouTube Channel so guys can see how these perform in -10 conditions.

We've been doing quite a bit of work some Nvision optics and will post more info as I get more info.

There are some issues with the battery covers, they have a newer version now I believe, you have to get it very tight or the recoil will shut the scope down, as it loses contact with the batteries. Otherwise they seem pretty bullet proof to me.

The Halo LR on native is very nice, when you start zooming it, it doesn't keep up with the Mark III, IME. Depends on what a guy is using it for, on native for close spraying at hogs, it's fine, for zooming and sniping at longer distances, the Trijicon pulls away.

Everyone's eyes are different and their field use requirements vary. I've used enough to determine the Mark III is the one for me.

I will say the Flir 536 holds zero very well, image is substandard to the higher end scopes but it's a shooter.

Originally Posted By: 324mattHow are those plastic housings holding up on those halo LR's in the cold. Or overall?

Just zero'd the Halo LR last with our battery pack kit, ambient was 10 degrees, I'll let you know in a month or so! 8 twist 22-250 with 31.5 of Varget and 50 grain Vmax, she held just under half MOA at 110yards.

My experience has been the exact opposite. I sold my trijicons for the halo lr. Both bae core units look pretty much the same in great conditions but The halo flat out destroys the trijicons when conditions are less than perfect such as high humidity. I haven’t found any issue with magnification pixilation any more than any other high end thermal.

As to the housing and zero retention I’ve ran it when zero’d at 50f and hunted 2 full nights at 14f and check my zero at the end of the last night while it was under a hard cold sink and it was right on.

Originally Posted By: Spartan1My experience has been the exact opposite. I sold my trijicons for the halo lr. Both bae core units look pretty much the same in great conditions but The halo flat out destroys the trijicons when conditions are less than perfect such as high humidity.

What Trijicons were you running?

My experience has been similar to Spartan’s - the Halo to my eye has a “slightly” better image than the MK3. I see no difference between the two working through zoom range. The MK3 has slightly more mag and less FOV - usually the additional mag gives the appearance of better image quality so the fact the are both right there is very impressive. I also thought I would not like the buttons over the familiar turrets - surprisingly I actually like them better now - extremely easy to find at night and use. As far as the housing, I prefer it as it doesn’t scratch or show marks from use and gives you a nice flat spot for a battery pack. I’m hoping Nvision comes out with a helmet mount scanner soon - otherwise I see a Skeet IRX in my future.

Originally Posted By: Spartan1Reap 35 type 2 and mk3 60.

I would have a hard time saying the Halo LR destroys the Trijicons, especially comparing it to the 60mm's even the Reap 35. We've been running the Patrol, Reap 35, Reap 60, MKIII 60, and the SkeetIR, The Halo LR is very good, but does not do any better in various conditions than the Trijicon units.

We were in 98% humidity the other night, and have video using both. Night before last it was -10 with 65% relative while using Trijicon and the Halo, the Halo wasn't any better if at all.

Same Cores, Same displays, different Germanium. Both are awesome units 100%.

I have heard a few others say this about the Nvision in poor thermal conditions but I tend to think its situational - more a function of individual settings etc. Same core, same display as mentioned. I do recall reading about Nvision claiming a higher quality Germanium in its lens but not 100% on that. I'd be happy to help anyone here in NY if they wanted to check out the Halo before they buy. Below is a comparison video between the two thermals side by side:

Back