What sound after howls?

nodak63

I like to start out calling with with some howls. Usually when I get a response I cannot get them to come in. Usually switch animal distress of some kind after howling for a bit. But generally they don’t come in. If you guys get s response to howls do you just keep howling?

Are you using hand calls or a e-caller?

About the only howl sound I have been using on my e-caller the last 2 or 3 years is Female Sore Howls. It sounds like a female coyote that is having problems. Then I will use Pup Distress 3.

Most of the coyotes I have called in using coyote vocals sounds is by using Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound when I hear a coyote challenge whatever sound I am playing. If the coyote just keeps challenging me without going quiet and heading my way, I switch to a bunch of different coyotes sounds making it sound like there is a big coyote fight going on.

If you get a response to a howl sound and nothing comes in, try a pup distress sound.

If you use the custom Google search feature here, you'll find a wealth of knowledge that has been discussed here previously.

its possible that the sounds that you are using after getting a vocal response aren't the wrong sounds at all. I've noticed that if the coyotes that howled are a long ways away from me, I need to get closer to them in order to get them to come. This is especially true on those really calm cold mornings where you can hear them howl from great distances. Over time a guy will get better and better at estimating about how far away the howlers are. For me, if I think they are a mile or more, it's my que to get up and close the distance and try again. Once I resituate, I will once again start with the same howl that they responded to from my last position, and if they do or don't vocally respond, I don't care. I know they are there....so I then go through my regular calling sequence.
Does it work every time, absolutely not. But it works often enough that I do it pretty regular.

Bob, I’m using an ecaller. I’ve been getting responses to coyote locator or coyote pair but they don’t wanna come in after that. I’ll have to try the lone female. Have had good luck with our distress.

Originally Posted By: songdogits possible that the sounds that you are using after getting a vocal response aren't the wrong sounds at all. I've noticed that if the coyotes that howled are a long ways away from me, I need to get closer to them in order to get them to come. This is especially true on those really calm cold mornings where you can hear them howl from great distances. Over time a guy will get better and better at estimating about how far away the howlers are. For me, if I think they are a mile or more, it's my que to get up and close the distance and try again. Once I resituate, I will once again start with the same howl that they responded to from my last position, and if they do or don't vocally respond, I don't care. I know they are there....so I then go through my regular calling sequence.
Does it work every time, absolutely not. But it works often enough that I do it pretty regular.
Good advice. Coyotes are very territorial. They cover a big area, but you may not be in their area. It is always good to close the distance but also don't get in too tight or you might bust them on your way in. Listen to what they are saying to you, and respond back in kind.

Think about the time of the year and what is most likely to trigger a coyote. Listen to the pitch of the howl to help determine if it is young or old. These are all things to think about. If I get a single, young coyote saying hi, I will respond differently compared to an old coyote challenging me, etc.

Kirsch you def seem more experienced than me, and were both in North Dakota so let me ask you this. Last night walked into a set a half mile. Started with coyote pair on my e caller.after second series of howls (maybe 90 seconds in) a pair of coyotes starts howling back. My best guess is they were less than 300 yds away. There was some trees and a standing cornfield where the howls were coming from. After howling back and forth at each other for a few minutes I switched to rabbit distress. I really wasn’t sure what to do to be honest. About ten minutes of that and nothing. Switched to pup distress and they started howling back again, but they had moved further away. Probably 500+ yds out. Tried a couple more howls but eventually packed up and left,, it was too dark to see and moon hadn’t come out yet, on my walk out get a lone coyote howling/barking. Sounded pretty far away so don’t know if it was at me or not, could’ve been a different one from the original too as well. What ya think a guy does when ya get a response and they are in range but out of sight? Keep trying howls or change to a distress of some kind? I know every coyote is different, just curious on what some more experienced people would do.

I agree with Kirsh and others on a lot of that. I would like to say [beeep] that in all my years in the open West Country I have seen coyotes on the hunt and chasing bunnies. Seen them moving carrying game. Deep into their hunt I rarely hear them get vocal. Personally I don't like starting with the howling, I feel it brings more wariness into play maybe. If I do use vocals, it's one soft for curiosity, wait a while then distress of some sort.
I go with the Elvis method, the less they know the more they want.
Just me and my ways, others here obviously do well in their ways.

Hef-A

Apologies Nodak, I'd missed your last post. A word of caution, if you move in and the first thing you hear from coyotes is 300 yards way, get real quiet real fast. Very subtle sounds. They may even be seeing you already. Your nearly in squeeking range.

Hef-A

I completely agree with UncHef's take on this. Rarely do I ever see them come in fast when they hear other coyotes. Makes for longer stands with mixed results at best.

My experience when they answer an opening howl, listen to the howl, try to determine if it's youngish sounding, or older and more aggressive sounding. That and how far away it is determines my next move. Close by, and young sounding, lip squeaks or other rodent sounds softly played have been effective. Later in the year, and with a fairly close but aggressive reply, fight sounds or pup distress can be deadly.

If it's fairly distant, I'll make a stand there with plans on moving in that direction next if possible. This has worked quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: nodak63Kirsch you def seem more experienced than me, and were both in North Dakota so let me ask you this. Last night walked into a set a half mile. Started with coyote pair on my e caller.after second series of howls (maybe 90 seconds in) a pair of coyotes starts howling back. My best guess is they were less than 300 yds away. There was some trees and a standing cornfield where the howls were coming from. After howling back and forth at each other for a few minutes I switched to rabbit distress. I really wasn’t sure what to do to be honest. About ten minutes of that and nothing. Switched to pup distress and they started howling back again, but they had moved further away. Probably 500+ yds out. Tried a couple more howls but eventually packed up and left,, it was too dark to see and moon hadn’t come out yet, on my walk out get a lone coyote howling/barking. Sounded pretty far away so don’t know if it was at me or not, could’ve been a different one from the original too as well. What ya think a guy does when ya get a response and they are in range but out of sight? Keep trying howls or change to a distress of some kind? I know every coyote is different, just curious on what some more experienced people would do.

I've been at this game for more than 30 years, and always learning. As far as what to do it is hard to say without knowing what type of sounds they were making. I can say if you are using prey distress and coyotes bark or are vocal at you, rarely will they come on distress. You have to get them in with vocals. When I use the term vocals, this is everything from howls, growls, whines, ki-yis, everything.

If they sounded like adult coyotes, I would have gotten super aggressive with the pair. Either a single coyote aggressive, or pair aggressive sound. If sounded younger like pups, I might have gone the opposite direction and tried some family type vocals.

Back