Need advice on new .223 rifle

jmerchant1

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Need some advice on which .223 rifle to purchase. I'm trying to stay around $650 for the rifle (already have a scope). I have narrowed down to these 3 options:

Remington 700 SPS Varmint (1:12) with a aftermarket stock
CZ 527 Varmint (1:9)
Savage 12FV (1:9) with an aftermarket stock

My one and only goal is to get sub-moa accuracy exclusively with light 40-55 grain varmint bullets out to 300 yards for coyotes, varmints, and target shooting. This has me leaning towards the 700 SPS because I've heard the 1:12 twist is ideal for the light explosive varmint bullets.

I had a CZ 527 American before, with the 1:9 and it only shot the heavies (75gr) accurately. This didn't meet my needs as I want to shoot varmint bullets and there is no 223 varmint factory ammo heavier than 64gr to my knowledge. So since I have no interest in shooting the heavy rounds or anything beyond 300 yards, would a rifle like the Rem 700 SPS with the 1:12 twist be the better choice for my needs?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Originally Posted By: jmerchant1I had a CZ 527 American before, with the 1:9 and it only shot the heavies (75gr) accurately.

if that is true something was very wrong there bud.

but anyways, forget the 3 you mentioned and buy a tikka. that is all.

I have had .223 Tikka T3's in 1-12 and 1-8 twist, both shot the lights well and the 1-8 shot the lights and heavies well also.
The T3x is a proven good popular choice offered in many different models.

Skip the .223 and get a .204 in the CZ model 527 Varmint!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GTOHunterSkip the .223 and get a .204 in the CZ model 527 Varmint!
wink.gif

Interesting thought, I have considered going to .204....

For coyotes and saving fur go for the 204 in the CZ. My favorite round for coyotes, shooting Nosler 40 gr. No sewing to speak of. Rudy

My vote is for the Tikka TC3. I've had one for years, and it performs great. Very smooth action and accuracy. It's in your price range too.

If you get the one you like you'll never have "I should've got" none of the rifles listed are known to be bad. The Rem has lots of after market support as to a lesser degree the Sav. The 223 has lots of choices in ammo and inexpensive brass. Fur friendly bullets abound for the 223 especially if you reload.

Originally Posted By: jmerchant1Originally Posted By: GTOHunterSkip the .223 and get a .204 in the CZ model 527 Varmint!
wink.gif

Good call on the 204. I've got one of these 527 Varmints in 204 and it is a tackdriver. Super flat trajectory and a ton of fun on smaller varmints like chucks and ground squirrels too.

Skip the .223 and get a .204 in the CZ model 527 Varmint! wink

This idea has won me over.

Nothing against the Tikka-holics but I just love the CZ 527. Never owned a .204 so excited to see what it can do. Plus it has the 1:12 twist that should be optimal for the varmint rounds so I'm sold. Thanks everyone for your input!

Last edited:
Any could be a great gun. I have a savage bolt action in 223 that shoots 5 shots in 1/2 MOA with the correct hand loads. I have the savage 12FV in 22-250 that will shoot 1/2 MOA. My only complaint with Savages is the action isn't always as smooth.

Back