Thermion XP 38 Question

Deltagunner00

Anyone that uses the Thermion XP38, are you happy with the base mag or are you wishing you had more?

I mainly coyote hunt here in Indiana and really like the FOV on the XP38, but kind of concerned I might want more base mag, at times. I am thinking I would be fine by using the PIP feature on further shots when needed. To be honest, most shots are within 100 yards. I use a Helion as a scanner.

I do hunt a few tighter fields where the FOV will really pay off and I also do some beaver extermination for farmers at night and hunt those in some creeks. Those can be shots as close as 10 yards with the silenced 22 and am thinking the XP38 would be perfect for this.

Thanks in advance.

1.5x should work well for what you have described. I wouldn't typically recommend the XP38 for long range coyote hunting but 100 and closer is not long range. Because it is a 640x480 scope, you can use PIP and have it at 3x or whatever you want and that should get you to probably 250 yards without sacrificing a lot. YOu can of course dial the PIP way up if you want but will start to loose image quality. If need a lot of close in work, the Thermion XP38 should work really well.

Is recommend the xm38. The fov is not great base mag running at 4x and 8x in the pip ive had no issues 60 -240 yds. 13 shot at, 13 dead.

Last edited:
I use the XP38, and love it...I hog hunt and will not take shots over 100 yards, as a matter of fact most shots are 75 yards or less. That being said, I'm in Georgia and we don't have a lot of wide open fields in my area, mostly pines and a few hardwood ridges. I told someone one time if they keep clear cutting the only place you'll find hardwoods is around the courthouse. Kirsch's recommendation is what I do if,I need to zoom I zoom the PIP to 3x and shoot from that, then I have a wide field of view on the running hogs, left, but don't usually take to many running shots in the thick pines, I feel most of the time I'm just wasting bullets.

Thank you guys have have replied. Placed an order for one today and it will be here Wednesday. Going to be a long few days waiting, haha! Going from the Wraith to the Thermion and should be a good companion to my Helion!

Back