Good weekend and RZR overload!

204 AR

Saturday I went hunting with a buddy on some ground we scouted a couple weeks ago and jumped a coyote out of, so we had high hopes for that stand. We got out there in good shape, with a decent breeze to cover our noise on the crunchy snow. We left the RZR 1/4 mile back and walked up a trail to the top of a ridge and got set up. I let out a couple howls and got an immediate response from multiple coyotes from just over the next hill from the sound of it. I switched to stinky rat, pretty low volume, and within 2 minutes 2 coyotes popped up on the next hill 300 yards from me. The first one started in down the hill towards my partner and out of sight from me, with the 2nd staying up on top. After 10 seconds I muted the call, hoping it would stop for him. It did, I heard his suppressed Grendel then the "pop", and number one was down. I switched to a fight sound on my presets, and the second one started coming in the same path. I again muted, and heard the shot, and number two was down at 256 yards just like that. I didn't get to see much of the action, but it was textbook.
sSlDDlZl.jpg

We had time for 2 more stands in a place that was money last year. No dice this time, then we learned that a trapper had moved in there. Story of my year...

Sunday I could hunt all day and was invited to hunt with one of the real killers in this area so I was pretty excited. He did all the calling and I was there to learn and kill what was put in front of me. We hunted hard all day, with him shooting one on the second stand, then a bunch of blanks, then my turn on about the 8th stand on one that came in close from a meadow into the hills. A few more blanks, then at the end of the day things got good.

We set up on a high hill with another ridge in front about 200 yards, then a large meadow and swamp/lake beyond that for the next 3/4 mile. After a few minutes of rabbit I hear his rifle go off and another coyote is down. Several minutes of fights produce nothing else. He quietly called me over to his spot at the end of the stand and pointed out a coyote mousing on the meadow, probably 3/4 mile out. Too far to range but he was out there. We hatched a plan to sneak over the next ridge and try to call him in.

We probably got 400 yards closer, set up and started with some distress. We lost sight of the coyote, but scanning around I spotted another across the lake, and he wasn't interested. Switched the sound to fights and he got more interested, but wasn't coming in. I got a range of 708 yards but wasn't ready to shoot quite that far yet. About that time I heard my buddy say he spotted the first coyote and he's coming in! I scanned and scanned, couldn't see him but spotted a third, and he was on our side of the lake, broadside at 434 yards, and not interested in the call. The wind was down, I held the orange dot of the eliminator on him and squeezed, he tipped over stiff legged and never twitched. At that point, I heard "did you hit him", I nodded yes, he said "the other one is still coming in!". I looked and looked in the reeds and tall grass and finally spotted him and got set up. This is where I got a bit greedy, and still on a high from the long shot, I ranged him at 290 when he stopped, and drilled him there. He would have come in much closer, I was just having fun shooting longish range lol. I could also tell it was a nasty mangy coyote at that distance.

One more stand about a mile away, had a pair howl back just over the hill but we didn't have downwind covered very well and I think they back doored us, or just didn't come in at all. Will never know for sure. Now it's getting dark, we had several miles of hills and lakes to navigate to get out to the road, and pics had to wait till we got to the trailer. Was a great day, tiring and rewarding, hope to repeat it soon.
VQEy1wZl.jpg
Had 4 hanging on the back... And threw one up front.
ZBlzfMrl.jpg

Thanks guys, we would have found room for more, trust me lol. Actually I just use paracord loops around both hind legs, then hang them from a frame I made on the back. I just didn't have enough loops made up for this trip. Won't make that mistake again lol.

You could've just had your passenger hold one or two in his lap, if n you ran out of paracord loops.
lol.gif

Nice shootin', glad to hear you guys got into a few.

Note to self: If and when you hunt with Russ, be quick on the trigger.
grin.gif

Haha, joe would have probably would have held one lol, he's hard core! Sounds like you guys are getting together soon, good luck!

Originally Posted By: g BoWhat bullets is your partner shooting in his Grendel ?

100 gr amax, a load I developed for my grendel when I had one.

Back