Tag soup, anyone ?

NWShooter69

Well this years hunting season is over for me, and although I saw a few bucks, I passed holding out for something bigger. Didn’t happen for me this year so looks like a big pot of tag soup will need to be made up. Anyone else in the same boat?

I was hunting in IL, mid-level QDM property. I had a combined 6 hours of hunting left when an average 8 pt came by with a very distressed gait, previously wounded. I gave it a few seconds then decided to take him, chip shot at 30 yards with the Knight Elite M-L.

I waited about 20 minutes until an adult doe came by & took that took, easy recoveries. Normally that 8 pt would get a pass on this property, coyotes get enough already. He field dressed mostly normally, previous wound aft.

I have one more anterless tag, may go down later for an anterless period. If so, I always bring a few predator calls.

Yes. Saw some younger deer on the place in Northern Mn but the big fellows were off rut wandering. Can't blame them for that.
Our herd here is so low due primarily to the wolf population explosion that I don't mind at all not taking one of the few that are left.

Hef-A

Sorry to hear that. I don't like unfilled tags either.

I lucked out with a decent little muley on my desert hunt (story posted) and the older two kids filled their cow elk tags a few weeks ago (PM story pending).

We still have four javelina tags, an oryx tag, and my Barbary sheep tag open though, so the opportunity for tag soup still exists.

Deer Elk, antelope , and wolf.
The only one left is the wolf tag but it's good till March.
Been a good year, very tough hunting with all the crappy snow so early this year.

Back