8 twist and light bullets

Who’s shooting 40 and 50 gr out an 8 twist barrel. Any success in terms of accuracy ? AR Barrels in Canada are hard to get and most dealers only stock 7 or 8 twist. Would have to wait probably 4-6 months for a 12 twist. So just curious if a 8 twist will work.

Last edited:
I am going to be using it mainly for ground squirrel shooting hence the need for smaller weight projectiles.

I was thinking of a 20 practical but that barrel is impossible to find up here,

Ground squirrels at 100 yards are small targets but if using a scope, I don't see the problem, as even if your AR will only group 55 grain bullets at 1.5" to 2" - that's plenty good.

I've recommended CFE223 powder to several people shooting 1:7 twist barrels who were having accuracy problems with 55 grain bullets and everyone stated the CFE powder shot better in their rifle.

The cost of bulk bullets is normally the main concern of some AR owners. Seems 55 grain are the least expensive but if you can find 62,65 75 or 77 grain bullets at great prices - they will kill ground squirrels just as quick as the 55 grain.

Of the bullets joeyj mentioned the 65 gr Sierra Game king would be the most reliable to expand on a ground squirrel. As for the 40-50 gr bullets a 50 gr Vmax might be a bit longer than other 50 grainers.

I would go with a 50 vmax before a gameking as the gameking is more of a big game bullet. I am shooting 50 gr vmax out of an 8 twist for groundhogs with good results

I don’t need help with bullet selection. I have shot thousands of ground squirrels in my bolt guns. Just trying to decide if it’s worth chancing a faster twist barrel and will get enough accuracy with lighter bullets.

I've got about a thousand 40gr Sierra #1440 loaded for my Rock River Predator Pursuit which has a 1x8 twist. I expect every one of them to group at an inch or less.

Can't wait for spring and the ground squirrels.

I have shot a lot of the 35NTX bullets out of my 8 twist on prairie dogs and got along just fine. Groups are sub MOA. Granted they are longer being unleaded, which should help stabilize them, but I don't think they are any longer than a 50 grain leaded bullet.

I shoot blackhills 50gr v-max in a couple different AR's,223, 8" twist, and hand load a tikka 8" twist 223, 50gr v-max and all shoot great and do a great job on coyote's

Last edited:
Many ground grizzlies have perished in a 8 twist 16" bolt and a 20" 1/8 AR. 40 gr Vmax's work fine, the Noslers are just a bit tougher to handle being pushed hard. My favorite is the 50 gr Vmax, accurate and explosive. Try some 40's, might be some giggle factor on your next rat safari.

40gr. Nosler Lead Free and Hornady 40gr. Vmax.
On top of TAC or Varget.
Less than MOA all day from all of my AR'S and Bolt guns
with 1:8 twist.
16" to 24"

I never got 40's to shoot super good out of my 1/9" twist .223 but the 50's and heavier shot super nice groups. Since the 40 and 50 grain bullets cost the same it was no big deal to me as accuracy was more important than speed.

Back