.17-.223 cal.

Hornady makes dies, they work well. I used 8208 and 20 gr vmax. That thing was ridiculous for about 1500 rounds. What a laser. I wouldn't pass up another if I stumbled across another barrel.

I am getting along with the Hornady dies fine. Running the 25 grain Hornady HP with Varget gives me pretty decent accuracy, but I haven't run it over a chrony to see how fast. Seems to kill coyotes plenty good.

Redding bushing dies are expensive but worth the money especially if you have several .223 based calibers.

I have the 17,20,and 223 improved so just need the correct bushings and you set.

I use Benchmark for the lighter bullets and Varget for the heavier.

Just getting started with the 17, fire forming brass with 25gr Vmax. I'm getting 3945 fps with 24gr Benchmark, only 46 rounds down the barrel.

I plan to shoot 30gr Nagels and have Ram Shot BG to try with those. 1-9" twist needed for the 30s they say.

thanks for the responses. I took the upper to my friend the gunsmith and we put the bore scope to work.Wow ive seen smoother sewer pipes. the leed looks like its pitted all the way to rifling. looks like the wife just got a new tomato stake.

I take it the barrel looks completely shot out? I shot two more coyotes with my 17-223 today and I don't see myself ever being with out one for a calling gun. I thought I would like it, but I didn't realize I would like it this much. What brand of barrel is the one you have?

Back