Going hunting tonight

Heymartay

We both have thermal scanners, I have nv , bud has thermal. Up till now we just used my nv now that we both can shoot what’s a good plan ? I’ll be running the caller , still sit close so can talk or sit farther apart and to each his own. Or take turns shooting and scanning .

Never separate.....ever unless you communicate it first!
Stand side by side just close enough when you rotate with your gun you don't run into each other.
Always make a plan and stick with it when picking up the caller or dead coyotes etc.
If you're this close you can whisper to each other and stay in contact about what is going on and when you're going to shoot. Critters can just show up in the field without you seeing them run or fly in. Take time to watch body language and mannerisms to help id. Frontal views in thermal can be deceiving. Let's em get broadside to id.
Very nice to have nv along to id.

Last edited:
I don't like to sit very far apart from my hunting partner at night if we are on the same stand. If multiples come in, you need to know who is taking what coyote and when you plan to shoot. If you are running a caller as it sounds like you are, you can position the caller so the coyote will come downwind of the call and not you.

There is no reason for you both not to scan. We typically decide who is going to take the lead on shooting based on who's side the coyote approaches. If the 2nd gun can be a backup, that is good. However, there are times that the 2nd hunter won't move as they would have to shoot across the other hunter or we don't want to both be moving at the same time. You can get by with more movement at night, but that doesn't mean everyone should start swinging all at once.

If you are in an area where you can't shoot foxes, if you have NV, you may want to give the " Go Ahead" that it is a coyote.

Buddy has a pts233 and we couldn’t get it figgerd out so we stuck with our usual routine. Hit 4 spots called one to @70 yds drt.Sorry but I just don’t want to put forth the effort to try to put pics in.

Back