Taking Down Goliath

Kirsch

Last year, my fur buyer weighed two of my heaviest coyotes. He indicated of the multiple thousands of coyotes he bought, they were the heaviest. The heaviest went mid-50's. When I walked up on this coyote, I thought maybe I had a coyote that might break the #60lb mark. I sent my fur buyer a picture, and his comment was, "I think you just got the mythical 60lb coyote." I realize for Eastern coyotes, this may not be that large, but it is for this area.

This coyote is probably taller and broader than any coyote I have ever harvested, but as soon as I picked it up, I was pretty sure it wasn't going to weigh up. It didn't even go 50 lbs. Although, it wasn't the 60lb coyote, it is still structurally one of the biggest coyotes I have ever taken. His nickname will forever be GOLIATH.

Not much for video, as the coyote was on us very quick. Took a few pics and was off to the next stand.

That is a horse. You could almost saddle and ride him. Just like Goliath dropping to David's slingshot, he went down quick. I wonder if David's stone made a thump like that.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06 I wonder if David's stone made a thump like that. If you hit them in the head (I didn't), even the biggest go down hard.

My fur buyer actually skinned the coyote while I was there because he thought something was wrong with the coyote, like it bloated or was sick or something. All he found was a really big coyote, with a really nice pelt. Good for me and him.

Cool. Got a big one last night I might weigh. Biggest I ever shot was exactly 50 lbs. Looked like he was on steroids he was so thick through the shoulder head area.

No other strange characteristics that would make me think domestic mix but the fur buyer joked it must have had some Saint Bernard in it.

Thank you for all the kind comments. It truly was a massive coyote. I included the picture from the video in case some don't want to watch the video. I am not the biggest guy in the world, around 5'9, but this still is a massive coyote. It was so big that I couldn't do the typical hero picture where the person places/holds the animal (especially fish) away from them making it look every bigger.
smile.gif

goliath.jpg

Back