R.Femage 1952 243 rifle?

rudymontana

Picked up this rifle at an estate auction. Sounds like rifles were imported from Argentina / Chekhovia . Then barrel changed out from 30-06 caliber, stocks changed etc. Looks like a nice rife and my son has one similar in 6MM. It is a shooter and I hope this one is also. All I've done is swab the barrel with Montana extreme copper remover. ANYONE HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE WITH THE FEMAGE??

Rudy

This is something I found on another site.

"Your rifle, which is quite common, is one which was modified by Columbia, in order to use US supplied ammunition.

The marking should be R.Famage. Stands for, in Spanish something like : Reformado Factory for weapons of war. The translation is not literal, but meaning is something like that.

There are several versions of these, some have crests, some have dates in the 50s. Yours should also have a small notch at the top of the receiver ring, to allow clip loading.

These can be converted from several different versions of earlier Mausers.
It Would be nice to see some Pictures.
Does the Magazine hang below the stock in front of the Trigger Guard Or is it flush with a floor plate ? Can you see any Crests or stamped emblems ?

AND. it may be 8mm or 30/06...It should be stamped 30 somewhere on the barrel if it is 30/06!

Value is hard to say ,it would be worth more if it were all original and not "sporterized" but at 100 bucks...You did OK ! For a shooter."

Another for sale

https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-98-r-famage-1952-c44804/

And from another site

"Basically, FAMAGE rifles have "FN M1950 Stocking up", all have an "F.xxxxx" serial number; and are made from the following Mauser rifles
M1912 Steyr Columbian 7mm; M29 Steyr export Columbian, Vz24 7mm export, and FN M24/30 Export.(pre WW II)

The Vz24, if original barrel rebored, will have the typical Vz24 front sight ( flush sleeve) whilst all the others will have the ring base sleeve.

Original 7mm barrels rebored to 30 cal also still have original marks ( serial 34-xxxx for Vzs, "T" in circle (Both Steyrs and ZB rifles) and Belgian proof marks (FN barrels)

The Occasional Steyr Solothurn M29 will still have the Addy on the left rec. wall (Most are fully scrubbed). Most stocks are new, or completely rebuilt; "H" bands are new, or rebuilt lipped Vz24 bands.(lip removed). Occasionally one comes across a 30 cal example still in a complete Vz24 stock. with long handguards. Some handguards are new, other cut down Vz type."

Last edited:
Mine is a 243 (stamped) No clip 5 rounds below the bolt. I never have any luck with photos and forum. Rifle stock is nice with a cheek pad and nice wood. Does have the cut out for the original clip set up. Mine is way nicer looking than the picture of the one for sale. Thanks Rudy

Last edited:
From what I read they were originally converted for Columbia and then came into the states as surplus and then were bought by the public. Yours was more than likely a surplus that was sporterized/customize by the owner. Not unlike many of the surplus Mausers from WW-II and foreign countries that adopted the Mauser in it's original form.

Back