Night Goggles Inc

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3222068 - 12/10/19 04:17 PM Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Assembled?
Kirsch Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: North Dakota
There have been some threads or posts indicting that there are other look-alike scopes to the Bering Optics Hogster being sold by other companies. Some have been so bold as to call it a Chinese Built Scope. The Hogster is assembled in the US from internationally sourced parts and components and is tested, optimized, and serviced in the US.

What Type OF Core Is In The Hogster: The core is actually built by a company called IRAY. Bering Optics teamed up with IRAY where they built the core, and Bering Optics worked on the firmware, software, and base to make a reliable and affordable thermal scope platform. Other companies have access to the IRAY core as well, but not the Bering Optics unique pieces.

Bering Optics uses VOX (Vanadium Oxide) cores from IRAY for the Hogster and from Flir for the Beast-R. For instance, the Ulis (French) core used by Pulsar is silicon based. Boris indicated his preference towards the reliability of VOX based thermal cores especially for hunting.

Why Are There Other Scopes That Look Like The Hogster: It costs a lot of money to produce molds for a thermal scope. Bering Optics worked with an external vendor to produce these molds. They can be used by other companies as well. These companies will not have the proprietary Bering Optics software or any of the optimizations they have done to integrate to the core.

Why Are The Hogsters Just Being released In The US, When Other Companies Have Similar Looking Thermals On The Market. Bering Optics spent the last 1.5 years, testing and optimizing this US assembled scope to verify the product is reliable, affordable and simple to use.

What Is Unique About The Hogster. The things that are unique are under-the-covers from these other look-alikes. This is from Boris, the owner of Bering Optics. The Hogster undergoes its final assembly in the US from the internationally sourced parts and components originating from Estonia, China, Ukraine, however every part was vetted. The Bering Optics scopes assembled with the US origin metal hardware which includes a QR mount that allows taking the scope down and using it as a scanner and then putting it back without losing a zero. There is also the Bering Optics firmware as well as a number of procedures we perform for each scope including the "black body" test and adjustment, which allows to increase the core productivity up to 15-20% as well as a test on the optical bench precisely aligning the optical axis with the mount before shipping the product out.

Warranty: This is very exciting. Boris informed me Bering Optics will be moving from a 2 year warranty on the Hogster to a 4 year warranty. This is being announced at Shot Show. This will not only apply to new customers, but extend to any existing Hogster customers.

Business Future: I had heard from a few people they were worried about the future as they don't know a lot about Bering Optics. Boris said, his company is not going away any time soon. He mentioned they actually service some night vision brands that have gone out of business. He said be confident Bering Optics will still be here for more than another decade.

The bottom line is do you want to buy a thermal which will have one of the best warranties in the business (4 years), from a company that tests their products for more than 1 year to make sure it is of the highest quality, releases products for affordable prices, and assembles, optimizes, supports and services their products in the US? If you do, it sounds like a Bering Optics thermal is in your future.

#3222075 - 12/10/19 05:36 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
SkyPup Online

Loc: Florida
Vanadium oxide microbolometer are much different than amorphous silicon bolometers.

Personally, I would not own any amphorous silicon based microbolometer thermal kit....

Blood -> The Ultimate Biofuel
You can not argue with a sick mind.

#3222079 - 12/10/19 06:19 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: SkyPup]
case-nh Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Iowa
So, your saying; SkyPup, that Pulsar is not something you would care to own?

#3222081 - 12/10/19 06:28 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: case-nh]
SkyPup Online

Originally Posted By: case-nh
So, your saying; SkyPup, that Pulsar is not something you would care to own?

Since Pulsar utilizes amorphous silicon microbolometer in their thermals:

That is what I am saying. thumbup1

#3222083 - 12/10/19 06:34 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
Kirsch Online
Die Hard Member III

The discussion of Vanadium oxide microbolometer vs amorphous silicon bolometers gets pretty technical. If you are like me, as a coyote hunter you just want to know what's a good scanner to spot a coyote coming, and what's a good scope that I can use to put the reticle on a coyote and harvest it. If the VOX reference by Boris sent this thread down a rabbit hole, sorry. For those that want a deeper dive on the topic, check out Skypup’s link below.

#3222085 - 12/10/19 06:38 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: USA
It's all above my pay grade. I did read that IRAY is listed as the parent company of X-infrared.

#3222086 - 12/10/19 06:40 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
SkyPup Online

Why VOx is preferred for uncooled microbolometers and why amorphous silicon are inferior.

This PDF is about ten years old back when Si cores were being phased out:

http://www.flirmedia.com/MMC/CVS/Appl_Stories/AS_0015_EN.pdf

#3222087 - 12/10/19 06:40 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: DoubleUp]
Kirsch Online
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp
It's all above my pay grade. I did read that IRAY is listed as the parent company of X-infrared.
This just confirms what I said in my post, yes it appears X-infrared and Bering Optics use the same thermal core for some of their scopes, and accounts for a lot of the similarities with the Hogster, but it isn't the same scope.

IRAY produced this core to be used in a lot of different devices. They apparently liked what they saw Bering Optics doing, and decided to build a similar thermal. Nvision and Trijicon both use BAE cores, but they are different scopes.

#3222093 - 12/10/19 07:05 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
SkyPup Online

BAE cores are VOx

#3222096 - 12/10/19 07:25 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: SkyPup]
Kirsch Online
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
BAE cores are VOx
Agree

#3222118 - 12/10/19 09:47 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Loc: USA

Well, for the money the Hogster appears to be a good candidate for a predator scope. I am looking forward to your test of the 25, Kirsch.

#3222152 - 12/11/19 09:14 AM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
cmatera Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: CO
Yes, the Hogster R with its scanner/scope capabilities may be the best in its price range at the present time.

#3222164 - 12/11/19 11:51 AM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
Kirsch Online
Die Hard Member III

I ran a cold weather scenario on my Hogster-R 35mm this morning. This is not an official test or a stamp of approval by Bering Optics. The temp this morning was -16. I took the scope from the house, and placed it outside and turned it on. When I went back out to check it after about 5 minutes, I was a little concerned as there was some artifacts on the screen. I NUC'd it and they went away. I proceeded to check the scope every 5 minutes up to 52 minutes and the artifacts never showed back up and the scope worked. For me, a long stand would be 30 minutes plus maybe a 5 minute walk both directions would put me at 40 minutes. I went to 52 minutes just in case. The batteries didn't do very well at -16, but that is to be expected. In reality, this is probably twice as long as I would sit on a coyote stand in these kinds of temps but it still worked. One quick test doesn't certify anything, but it gives me more confidence in using it in colder temps.

#3222168 - 12/11/19 11:56 AM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: Kirsch]
cmatera Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: CO
North Dacolder is a very good place for that test!

#3222174 - 12/11/19 12:25 PM Re: Where are Bering Optics (Hogster) Really From? [Re: cmatera]
Kirsch Online
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: cmatera
North Dacolder is a very good place for that test!

Yes it is. thumbup1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SkyPup 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.