BC wolf adventure

weekender

I just got back from a great trip to BC and wanted to share the experience. I went on a wolf hunt/trapline combo with Paul Trepus of Inzana Outfitters out of Prince George BC. The plan was to spend some time checking and learning about Paul's trap lines and spend the majority of the time trying to shoot a wolf at a bait site. We started the trip with a trapline check and what a check it was. Paul is a master at his craft and it really showed. Nine coyotes and a XL male wolf was the total for the first stop.

g8K5fQi.jpg

hZyLYqO.jpg

On our way to the next check, I asked Paul if he ever saw any lynx while checking the sets and he said it was rare. Not 30 seconds later as we rounded a curve in the logging road, a large tom lynx bounced into the road 100 yds ahead. As Paul stopped the truck, the lynx made a quick exit back into the brush. I did not have a lynx tag, but Paul did. He slipped up the road calling using the back of his hand against his lips to make a squeaking sound. It didn't take him long to get the lynx to show and the gun barked, dead lynx.

9sLWoWq.jpg

Now at the next check, we added a another coyote and a second wolf. Two stops, two wolves, a lynx and a pile of coyotes.

Effldbf.jpg

We continued on the lodge where we would, at my request, spend most of our time watching and waiting for a shot at a wolf. There is no telling what the fur total could have been had we spent more time on the trapline, but I really wanted a shot a wolf. The whole first day we had snow but could still see the 290 yds to the bait. No wolves showed during legal daylight but after dark, with fresh snow, moon and binos, I saw a wolf visit the bait several times. He was there until 6:15 am Tuesday morning but legal shooting wasn't until about 7:20 am. Fog rolled in after only ten minutes of legal light and we could not see the bait until almost noon. About 2:00 pm the snow came in strong and it was a struggle to see the bait. With 15 minutes of legal light left, I saw glimpses of a large black wolf but there was no way to make him out good enough for a shot.
Every night the wolf would come, most nights multiple times. We could see him in the binos with moon light but he eluded us in legal shooting hours except for the visit in the heavy snow.
On the last day, we again checked a trapline and added 5 more coyotes to the pile.
Paul has multiple camps. We were at the main lodge, a beautiful log structure. He also has 3 really nice cabins there with both electric heat and wood stoves for those that enjoy a fire.

aEQVVu8.jpg

mFvuh1r.jpg

I really enjoyed the trip. Paul is first class all the way. The food was great. His equipment is top notch and the camp was awesome. I look forward to a return trip with Inzana Outfitters.

Wonderful experience to say the least, combined with great photos. What an adventure. Just seeing wolves is special, and the trapline experience is reminessant of times gone by. Hunter of the month comes to mind.

Thanks for sharing the Pictures,I have always wanted to see a picture of a wolf and coyote side by side for comparison,I shared your picture on my Facebook page and some people thought I harvested them LOL. I set the record straight.One day I hope to harvest a wolf.What a great adventure,One I am sure you will always remember.

Back