new Thermal coming this week, what are you using for tri-bi-mono pod?

RB

I am picking up my Thermal on Friday and I am trying to figure out what is best of the 3. Also I wouldn't mind making something if there is any ideas out there. Thanks!

Most guys at night either sit or stand. I like sitting, but many prefer to stand. The higher you are off the ground, the more stable your setup needs to be. I prefer a tripod for night hunting. Even before I was prostaff for Night Goggles, their Night Stalker tripod has been my go to tripod. They make the Pro model for those situations that require the highest degree of stability.

Has anyone used a RRS Anvil 30 head with the Night Stalker Pro? Will the RRS series 3 platform adapter fit right in on the Pro tripod?

The Night Stalker and Night Stalker Pro uses a standard 3/8" tripod screw. This is how the included ballhead connects to the tripod.

I got confused really quick as the RRS Anvil has tons of different configurations with different adapters, etc, so I don't know. If you find/use any ballhead that has a 3/8 hole at the bottom, you are good to go. Keep in mind the Night Stalker Pro is a very large/sturdy bipod, so I would typically recommend ballheads that are probably 40mm ballheads at the minimum. Also, the weight ratings of the Pro model are based on using the standard head, so make sure any ballhead you are replacing it with can handle whatever weight load you are placing on it.

The top of the standard Night Stalker Ballhead has a 1/4" connection. This is where the Arca Swiss plate attachment resides. In theory if a person is just looking for a different plate at the top, it could mount using the 1/4 connection as well but I believe you are looking to replace the entire ballhead.

I have no doubt the RRS Anvil is up to the task. I have the Night Stalker but was thinking of upgrading to the Pro and using the Anvil 30 head. The Anvil will thread on (3/8”) but I was wondering if anyone knew if the RRS Series 3 tripod adapter will fit in place of the removable center mounting plate on top of the Pro. The main reason I’m wondering is because the Anvil 30 head with the series 3 tripod adapter look to be an incredibly solid mounting interface.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Anvil-30-Ballhead?quantity=1&custcol49=6

now that's a nice rig right there, mobile and able to sit, us old folks have to sit...if I could put that rig on the back of my golf cart I's be set..

RB, I went on a quest for a stable, durable tripod setup and have owned/used models mentioned and others (except RRS). I was finally satisfied with Field Optics Research's BT precision bowl top tripod bundle. The design absolutely minimizes height above the tripod which makes for a stable platform.

No wobble, good price comparatively and great service. After talking with the owner I believe the man had been in my shoes and developed the answer. BUT if bowhtr's set up is an option go for it!!

Back