New upper help

skindaddy

New upper came with brake on it but I bought a different one took original off and crush washer wasn't too tight, well put on new brake and crush washer and washer slid to one side so backed off to straighten retightened couldn't line up no matter how tight, washer deformed had to cut off (sweet). So another new washer and hand tight is just past center so I know won't go a full turn what do I do? Idk first time owner just received two days ago

Also when upper and lower are joined there is a tiny bit of wiggle in it is this normal from being able to pop out pins and go.?
Wiggle as in hold gun like going to shoot and if you grabbed upper and rotate clock or counter clock wise

crush washer sliding off to one side doesn't sound right. they go on a right way and wrong way. you know that. right?

some wiggle between upper and lower is pretty common. should not be excessive though.

Do you have the right crush washer? There are different sizes for different thread pitch. If it is sliding I bet it is to big. If you are past center tightened by hand, I believe you can get another turn with a wrench. Why cut off the crush washer? It should thread off and not require cutting

Originally Posted By: reb8600 Why cut off the crush washer? It should thread off and not require cutting

threaded crush washers? not the ones i have seen and used.

had to cut off because tried to tighten to get it to go around again to no avail. and deformed it.
yes right size but threads are bigger than the smooth part after threads towards receiver which can make some play in the washer plus with a flat side on the back of brake. and yes installed correct way.

Last edited:
See where it clocks without a washer at all, then back off until it is clocked, look at the gap, this will give you an idea of whether you need a peel or crush washer.

Ps:not all crush washers are the same, there is a great variety, I keep a few different manufacturers because there is such a variety.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: reb8600 Why cut off the crush washer? It should thread off and not require cutting

threaded crush washers? not the ones i have seen and used.

Once they have been used I have had to thread some off. Now these are not ones I put on so I dont know why. That is the experience I have had with some.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1badsheeOriginally Posted By: 204 ARI would prefer a peel washer. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003340624?pid=654454

I got tired of fighting with those and ordered the gemtech shim kit.

was thinking of this or a peel washer, seen some reading/or video on the gemtech from like 2016 but then when i looked up to buy a few places were out of stock, wasnt sure if this was a failed product or luck of the draw on instock

Last edited:
Back