How's the Bobcat hunting in the East

Mtns2hunt

I have been following this thread with interest. I hunt the East for predators but not until after deer season. I see that a lot of Coyotes and foxes are being killed and I read about one Bobcat. How is the Eastern Bobcat hunting?

My main priority is a decent Bobcat. Apparently I got a bad case of Bobcat fever last year and missed what appeared to be a very decent cat.

Just wondering how everyone's perception of Bobcat hunting in the East is? Are you killing them but not posting? Not seeing them or not chasing them.

I live in southwestern VA. There’s a pretty good population here in the mountains. I have passed on a couple over the last year or two, having taken 11 so far. I have one showing up fairly often on trail cameras and have tried to call it a couple of times, but no response so far.

I usually call in 4-5 a year here in South Central Va. and kill maybe 3-4.
I'm mainly after coyotes and foxes in open cut grain fields and pastures and I typically don't stay on a stand over 20 minutes or so.
If you're specifically after bobcats hunt the opposite way that I hunt, near thick edges and stay on the stand longer. Bobcats can be really finicky, sometimes they will run right in, other times they will just sit down and stare at you like they don't care.
Unless I know that a bobcat is in the area I don't have the patience that I think it takes to be very successful hunting them.
I don't know what our population density is but I don't think that we have a lot of them here.

I've taken a couple , but don't really target them. Our season starts Dec 20 and runs to Mar 7, no limit, no spec permits. Seeing a big track while deer hunting, and may try for it, but if a coyote responds first all bets are off. Old cut overs , beaver ponds and any place turkeys roost.

I appreciate everyone's feed back. It is encouraging to hear that there is some success in the East. I am interested in a Cat Slam LOL if there is such a thing. I have a mountain lion, missed a cat last year and will put in a lot of effort this January. I then plan on a trip to Canada for a Lynx.

It is funny that I will be heading to Canada for Lynx. I did the same thing for bear some time ago and now I have bears in my trash and have bears on all my trail cams. Maybe the Lynx will migrate down here although I doubt it.

MOriginally Posted By: Mtns2hunt It is funny that I will be heading to Canada for Lynx. I did the same thing for bear some time ago and now I have bears in my trash and have bears on all my trail cams.
Same here. I went to Alaska years ago for a bear, and now have them raiding my chicken lot, killing chickens and even had one in my storage building last year, eating dog food.

Good luck with the bobcat.

I live in Indiana and they are still protected. I've never even actually seen one but I have my suspicion that there are a few in my area

Back