AR for predator hunting

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleGot my first one 11 Mos ago . Still working on it . I think I need to put the scope higher than the cantilever mount puts it now, had a riser under it for a bit but then I think I was super canting it the scope was so high . I have not packed it much but it does have possibilities but I need to work on it harder ! I just cant get the easy scope picture I am used to with bolt guns .

I would recommend the opposite. The higher the scope is the worse the parallax. You also don’t want your head floating around behind the scope. Precision comes from consistency. You need a good weld. I’m a big guy. I have no problems getting a consistent weld on a standard stock and cantilever mount.

Put a level on your upper and look at how you mount the rifle when it’s in your shoulder pocket. Some guys try to level a scope perfectly to the upper but then they tend to mount the gun crookedly. That can cause problems.

Stock length makes a difference in your sight picture, too. I’ve found that having an adjustable stock let’s you tailor your length of pull to make it easier to get that good eye to scope fit. Or it can...

Last edited:
Thanks ,I refuse to have to tilt my head over the comb for my cheek bone to be over the the tube .I have 5 bolt guns that I can snap to my shoulder and get perfect scope picture and cheek weld .I am working on it !

I’ve got an AR I built with a 20” Krieger VarMatch barrel 7.7 twist . It weighs 10.8 with a VX2 3.5X10. It’s boring accurate with 60 to 77 grainers . I carry it in a Timber Butte sling over my back .
Would you folks abandon it , sell it and build another , or use it ?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Soup

You built it the way you wanted it, are you disappointed in it, I can't tell from your post. If so you can rebuild it the way you NOW want it and sell the parts you don't like to recoup cost.

If there is something I do not like in a rifle I usually take one that is sweet to me . Some never seem to nick and then after some piddling and they do not click I do some trade or sell . Some are just handy to carry and others not .

Originally Posted By: varminter .223 Problem with all the wounded hogs was .223 cartridge not the AR imo.

Actually, IMHO, the problem with the wounded hogs was the nut behind the trigger. I've culled a lot of deer and hogs with a .223 and w/proper bullet placement, the 223 is perfectly capable of making clean shots.
35531882982_72cf44691f_n.jpg
35700956805_2429c8e444_n.jpg
34895177183_3172429d59_n.jpg
35317754430_06aefff051_w.jpg
All w/.223

Gut shot is gut shot whether a magnum or a .223 and hunter has the responsibility to follow up on any wounded animals, not shoot another and then go off and leave his mess for someone else to clean up.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm still smartin' a bit about losing my pet coyote rifle over someone not tending to business. No dig @ you, varminter.
grin.gif
ETA: Agree there may be better hog cartridges than the .223, but, it is the hunter's responsibility to know his/his rifle's limitations and be so guided, then, if he botches a shot to follow up, don't pick another target, and another and compound the situation.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: varminter .223 Problem with all the wounded hogs was .223 cartridge not the AR imo.

Actually, IMHO, the problem with the wounded hogs was the nut behind the trigger. I've culled a lot of deer and hogs with a .223 and w/proper bullet placement, the 223 is perfectly capable of making clean shots.

exactly^^^^^

we killed a bunch of big hogs down in texas one night with 223's. all 1 shot kills. and get this, we were using 55fmj ammo that the guide supplied and insisted we used.

I prefer to error to the over powered side when I chose a cartridge and I would guess when shooting at running hogs that would be good advice. Mind you I've never had the privilege of shooting hogs but maybe someday. After going to the 6mm ARs I will never ever go back to the 223 for coyotes.
Probably a third of our coyotes are killed running and man do the 6mm's pick up the slack. Not that I ever leave out any slack.
unsure.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: varminter .223 Problem with all the wounded hogs was .223 cartridge not the AR imo.

35531882982_72cf44691f_n.jpg
35700956805_2429c8e444_n.jpg
34895177183_3172429d59_n.jpg
35317754430_06aefff051_w.jpg
All w/.223

Gut shot is gut shot whether a magnum or a .223 and hunter has the responsibility to follow up on any wounded animals, not shoot another and then go off and leave his mess for someone else to clean up.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm still smartin' a bit about losing my pet coyote rifle over someone not tending to business. No dig @ you, varminter.
grin.gif
ETA: Agree there may be better hog cartridges than the .223, but, it is the hunter's responsibility to know his/his rifle's limitations and be so guided, then, if he botches a shot to follow up, don't pick another target, and another and compound the situation.

Regards,
hm

I agree with that sentiment. While you can control what a bullet does once you let'er rip, putting it in the right place gets the ball rolling in the right direction.

I once had someone complain that they couldn't put down a coyote with a 6.5 grendel. That was a shock to me, I've knocked a ton of them down with it. Then I find out he expected a one shot wonder, while shooting them in the gut or hind quarters...that ended that discussion right there for me.

I personally used a 16in .223 to take down 67 coyotes in one season back when I was just getting my predator legs underneath me. I don't care what caliber you are shooting, you always need to be prepared for a follow up shot.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I prefer to error to the over powered side when I chose a cartridge

Nothing wrong with using more rifle. Heck, since I can't use my AR any longer I'm shooting a .308 w/110 gr NV or 125 gr. NBT for coyotes.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: varminter .223I prefer to error to the over powered side when I chose a cartridge

Nothing wrong with using more rifle. Heck, since I can't use my AR any longer I'm shooting a .308 w/110 gr NV or 125 gr. NBT for coyotes.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

I luvs me some .308...

For eradicating hogs I can't think of a better rifle for the job than an AR-15. There are many cartridges to choose from and personally my first choice wouldn't be a 5.56/.223 for that because realistically you're only going to get one or two planned headshots,most likely one before they take off running. And in my experience the chances of a hit that disables them long enough to shoot them in the head or drops them on the spot with that light of a cartridge are slim compared to using a .300 Blackout even. If you're going to shoot them with a .223 you're better off shooting a bullet that doesn't expand or having a bonded bullet than you are with a varmint bullet or anything that's designed to flatten.

Last edited:
Quote:I luvs me some .308...

Never considered the .308 a varmint rifle, until I compared ballistics to the 243 and bought a bolt gun to replace the AR. Still not happy w/losing the quick follow up shots, I snagged a BAR in .308 and based on the first and only trip out with it, the only thing missing is the AR pistol grip and the pinpoint AR accuracy. At the time of that first trip ,the best accuracy I had achieved was about 1.5" w/125 gr. NBT's but since, have worked up a load w/110 gr. Varmageddons that shoot right at moa., so hope to get out again before I forget which end of the barrel the bullet exits and get better acquainted with it.

Regards,
hm

If "correct shot placement" is your only defense, you dont have much of a defense.

We all go through the Rambo gun phase, most of us grow out of it.

Back