Pistol AR question

Humpness

What cartridge would be the most efficient short barrel giving me the most velocity. I’m running 20” 6x6.8 w/55-58s for day time. I’m using 6x45 18” w/70s going almost 3000 for night. I’m hoping to possibly shoot a 70 in a short barrel 6x6.8 or similar to achieve similar results to my 6x45 18”. Should I pick a 6.8 To shoot 70s? Maybe 11-14” barrel. It will be a atv/truck gun/night gun or woods large predator calling gun. Washington won’t let me run around with a mag in the rifle with a vehicle unless it’s a pistol.

Sometimes you can't have it all. Most efficient out of pistol length barrels will more than likely by a cartridge that was designed to be fired from short barrels.
Doesn't mean mine is the only choice. Just the one I would choose.
You can always take the efficient part out of the equation and shoot whatever you want from a short barrel and not worry about the loss or muzzle blast.
JMO YMMV

In some of the research I have done, the 6.8 comes up as working real good with a short barrel. I have been thinking of doing one myself. I believe 85 grain is the lightest bullet for it.

The 6.8 is no less effective than a 5.56 pistol configuration in say a 10-11" barrel. Both will have loss of velocity and significant muzzle blast. I have 10.5" pistols in BLK and 5.56, both do what I want, particularly when suppressed. I have avoided the 6.8 in a short barrel, my take is to build a light weight barreled 14.5-16.2", folding stock setup for a bit more compact rifle. Without a suppressor or a blast can, my pistols are loud and somewhat less ideal for the often open country where we hunt.

I don’t care as much about full burn but when it comes down to deciding on things all else being equal then I’ll look to it. For now I want as much speed as I can muster with a bullet 60-70grains. I’m sure a 85 would do better out of a 6.8 than a 6x6.8 87. Ultimately i will need to lower The bullet weight to gain velocity.

What kind of speed can I expect with 6x6.8 short barrel? Say 14”?

Last edited:
Back