Did the 788 ever come in stainless?

pyscodog

I saw one this week-end that looked stainless but it may have just had all the blueing removed. The guy said it was stainless but I've never seen one before and I've seen and owned several.

It could be cerakoted also. I've thought about cerakoting a blued action to match a SS barrel.

Last edited:
The old rifle was pretty rough. That's what made me think it just had the blueing removed but the dealer is looking for a sucker that doesn't know better. I have seen and owned a bunch of 788 rifles and have never seen an all stainless one.

Originally Posted By: AWSIt could be cerakoted also. I've thought about cerakoting a blued action to match a SS barrel.

One of my Rem 700 semi customs started life as a Chromoly blued receiver and had a SS barrel hung on it then the whole thing was Cerakoted, I think the color was called Titanium but I don't exactly recall, the gun now looks like it's all SS.

This rifle doesn't look like its got any kind of coating. Just bare metal. Pretty sure he's had it quite a while as I remember seeing it a long time ago. Same dealer, same rifle.

The 788 was made WAY before stainless rifles were even thought of. Great rifles though. I had one in 358 Winchester caliber. Really accurate.

Originally Posted By: bearclaw46The 788 was made WAY before stainless rifles were even thought of. Great rifles though. I had one in 358 Winchester caliber. Really accurate.
358? that caliber was never made by Remington in the 788

Last edited:
Back