17 Remington favorite load recipe

Wow!! This turned out to be an extremely fruitful topic..I just ordered my scope Leopold xv-3i sf. 6.5-20× 40mm.. 30 mm tube..I have one on a 25-06 of mine and just love it..it may look huge on the little cz527 varmint..but the older I get..so does my vision..I really need the extra magnification..warne rings..ammo loaded with imr 4350.. now I just need the rifle....a couple more weeks until I pay it off..
I got a good price on the scope from Americanopticspro.com..for 550$.. my othor one I think they just hit the market when I purchased it, it was 1000$ ..I didn't want to pass up this deal.as it was the lowest price I found for a new in box scope in this model..the 40 mm objective should lete mount it low enough for comfort. The clear glass and magnification should work perfectly with the .17 rem..at least I hope..

Originally Posted By: BergmanI found a place that has the 25gr Berger in the Match Varmint and the FB Varmint , by sounds of it I should buy all the Match Varmint slugs they have.

I'm curious as to what you found. Got the part #'s?

I called the store and yeah was an error by the woman who does website. The Bergers were just the Varmint 25gr, not Match Varmint. So by looks of it I will order 1000 Hornady 25gr HP, I would shoot Nagels but cant get them across the border, or not that I know of how to. By sounds of the Hornady's there a good bullet too from what ive read, I can get lots of Berger 25gr varmint but sounds like some guys say there not real good performer, too much splash no penetration. Whats your thoughts on the Berger 25 varmint bullet ?

Last edited:
Never tried the Berger Varmint on predators. The Hornady HP's won't shoot out of my gun.

The Berger Varmint FB is often listed as "Match Varmint" on distributors sites to this day.

P.S. The old Berger Match Target is the bullet everyone raves about for fur. Part #17408. They were discontinued in 2012.

They shoot great out of my gun, but I only have about 400 left.

Originally Posted By: bobcat93Wow!! This turned out to be an extremely fruitful topic..I just ordered my scope Leopold xv-3i sf. 6.5-20× 40mm.. The clear glass and magnification should work perfectly with the .17 rem..at least I hope..

If it makes you feel any better, the 6.5-20X power is what I use on my .17 Remington. Mine is an older VXIII that I have had for 20 some years. And my (ahem!) seasoned eyes need every bit of magnification as well. With the scope cranked up I was able to make hits on prairie dogs out a shade past 450 yards and I think that is pretty dang good for a .17 caliber 20 grain Vmax. It's a great combo to be sure.

Well, I keep it simple with this WONDERFUL Under-Rated cartridge!

Rem 700 --- Rem. 7-1/2 primers.

Hornady 25 gr. HP -- 25.0 gr Varget

Hornady 20 gr. V-Max. -- 24.6 gr. IMR-4895

BOTH about 1/2 minute.

HOWEVER!! --- I will be looking to switch to H-4895 because of the temp stability.

Originally Posted By: Western RiflemanWell, I keep it simple with this WONDERFUL Under-Rated cartridge!

BOTH about 1/2 minute.

HOWEVER!! --- I will be looking to switch to H-4895 because of the temp stability.

I would not overlook IMR8208XBR. IMR4320 is still the go to powder for the 17. 8208 works great in my 204 and my 17.

A lot of great information revisited. I load for 3 17 rems. Tikka, Sako, and Remington using 25 gr Hornady HP, Rem 7-1/2, IMR 4320, H322, and CFE 223. CFE 223 will scream if someone is wanting some extreme speed.

Originally Posted By: Western RiflemanWell, I keep it simple with this WONDERFUL Under-Rated cartridge!

BOTH about 1/2 minute.

Investigate AR Comp

Originally Posted By: ackleyman17 Remington does not like two things

un even neck thickness

bullet jump

Hard lessons learned!

What are y'all running for COAL? (Most modern references list 2.15".) Wonder now if I have erred...?

I just loaded 20, 25 and 30gn bullets for load development for a friend's CZ527. I skimmed the necks and got water weight on his once-fired brass. Combining QL results and manuals, I worked up from there. Rem 7.5 primers and 2.15" COAL to start.

I don't have comparators small enough for a 17 but I will check his chamber for carbon/cleanliness and re-clean his bbl before we fire these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedfootRanchOriginally Posted By: ackleyman17 Remington does not like two things

un even neck thickness

bullet jump

Hard lessons learned!

What are y'all running for COAL? (Most modern references list 2.15".) Wonder now if I have erred...?

I just loaded 20, 25 and 30gn bullets for load development for a friend's CZ527. I skimmed the necks and got water weight on his once-fired brass. Combining QL results and manuals, I worked up from there. Rem 7.5 primers and 2.15" COAL to start.

I don't comparators small enough for a 17 but I will check his chamber for carbon/cleanliness and re-clean his bbl before we fire these.

The measurement people need to be using is the distance from the Ogive to the lands. Every bullet is different and if one is going to truly measure the distance from the bullet's Ogive to the lands, an investment in the Horndady Lock-n-Load Overall Length Gauge, Bullet Comparitor set, and modified cases is what's needed in addition to calipers if you don't already have those. I use the Frankford Arsenal digital calipers and they have worked great for me.

Ceertainly there are old school methods of measuring distance from your bullet to the lands but for the small overall cost to get the above tools, it is a no brainer for me.

I do check all of my chambers to determine the lands 'touch' but I run nothing smaller than a 20 cal. My Hornady bullet comparator set only goes as small as the 14-20 which I knew wouldn't measure a 17 bullet.

Your response made me look a bit deeper and I did order the #117 comparator for 17 cal. I will sacrifice a piece of his fired brass and will drill/tap it for a modified case tonight. I'll measure both of these chambers on Saturday. I built a case for another measuring device for his 25 cal yesterday.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back