Acog or Burris AR-536

SEMOmike

Guys, I'm looking at purchasing a used ACOG with a .223 reticle. Which one would be best for a dedicated coyote rifle? I'm thinking a TA33 would be suited for this application if I can find one used.

I could also be swayed by a Burris AR-536. The reviews on this are fairly good, however I don't want to have buyers remorse and always wish I had spent the money on an ACOG instead.

Any thoughts? Save the money and buy an ACOG or just pull the trigger on a Burris.

If anyone has an ACOG laying around they want to sell for reasonable please let me know.

Why, what are your perceived advantages to this model over a standard scope. FOV is narrow(you can't even get a whole coyote in at 10 yards), expensive, doesn't seem very versatile.

Well my son and I go hunt together almost all the time (he’s 13) and we have one set up for long range shooting with a Leupold Vx3i LRP 4.5-14x50 zeroed at 200 yards. Love this scope, but he consistently struggles to find the coyotes initially in the scope. I want the other rifle to be best suited 150 yards in and have fast target acquisition. I’ve read nothing but great reviews about this type of scope and we are also kicking around the idea of both shooting n some 3 gun matches where a significant portion of people use this scope with alot of success.

Your take on the acog is honestly about the only remotely bad thing I’ve ever heard about it

I've never used one, just looking at the specs. But I do a lot of close in coyote hunting and was wanting to see what you saw in it for close in work. I'll stick with my 1-4's and 1.5-6's with 3-5 times the FOV, and a lot more versatile for longer ranges at the same time.

I've never used one either. They look very simple in that you never have to turn on/off and don't have to monkey at all with the power settings, and have good eye relief. Yes, they are expensive, but they also seem to hold their value.

If I can find a reasonable one, I will probably buy it

If he struggles with the Leupold the Acog and Burris will not be any better, narrow FOV on both. My opinion a low power variable will be a better choice like mentioned above.

Last edited:
I have the Burris and have used if for a few hundred rounds and like it. Unfortunately, I've never used an ACOG, so can't help with the comparison.

Well managed to go by a place and look through a Vcog and they look fantastic. If I had that kind of jack I would buy it in a second. Illuminated, BDC, unbelievably clear! They didn’t have an acog, but a 1x6 might be the ticket if I could find one!

Acog is ver different than the vcog, you will have 1/3 the FOV or less with the Acog. No sure what the budget is but there a ton of good options in the 1-6 range, even some 1-8's.

Last edited:
I really like my eotech exps2. Big window with thin sides so you can leave both eyes open and have alot faster target acquisition, throw a vortex 3x magnifier on it and you can reach out a little farther when needed, or just flip it to the side when you dont need the magnification.

Last edited:
Back