Lightweight Colt AR15 setup. How and why.

Lost_River

This particular carbine has been an evolution.

io7iSU8.jpg

It started as a build specifically to hunt coyotes. I used to do a bunch of coyote hunting, as I had a lot more free time than I do now. My style of hunting was making multiple sets (usually 10-20 minutes on a set) before moving 2, 3,5 miles down the road. I would often make 7-10 sets in a day.

It initially looked like this:

qhNS3Nw.jpg

The rifle has a White Oak Armament 16" 7 twist barrel, and is optimally designed to shoot 77 grain SMKs. The barrel was an SPR barrel that I had turned down to what was essentially an old Colt "pencil" lightweight profile. The fore-end is a Clark carbon fiber tube. I chose this for both the weight savings, as well as the fact that in the extreme cold, it is much nice to handle than metal. Plus since I don't shoot long strings of fire with this there was not reason to have a bunch of cooling vents or holes. I rarely ever shoot more than 5 rounds in a minute with this rifle, so barrel heat is really a non issue.

All the internal parts are factory Colt Defense, except the trigger. The lower that is now on it is a Geissele 2 stage, which is the best trigger I have ever used.

Eventually the optic was switched, as the ACOG went to my other Colt, and the carbine now wears a 2.5-8 Leupold. This particular Leupold has been setup specifically for shooting 77 grain SMKs/MK262. MK262 is the military 5.56 precision load for their SPRs and is used a bunch with special mission units, as it has shown to be exceptionally accurate, as well as have excellent terminal ballistics on live targets.

Back to the optic:

It is mounted in a lightweight Aero mount.

Sorry the pic is a little out of focus. Anyways, I sent to scope into the custom shop. It is setup with a BDC dial. Out to 500 yards, you simply turn the dial to the correct yardage and press the trigger.

tmxWc6Q.jpg

The 2.5-8 give me a little more flexibility than the straight 4X, and I prefer the added magnification.

More to follow..

Part II

You will note that the fore-end is wrapped in hockey tape. This cuts a bit of the shine from the carbon fiber. It also adds a bit of grip to the slick surface, as well as gives some camo in winter. Surprisingly enough, I noted even without snow on the ground, in the sagebrush of the western US, the lighter color really blends, so I never removed it after the last spring's snow melted.

TNCRMpD.jpg

Additionally It also prevents the HK hooks on my sling from making noise when they hit the rifle. A quiet rifle when not actually shooting it is a good thing. That is also the reason I use 550 cord on the back of the rifle. The 550 cord is lighter, and often stronger than some of the commercial attachment methods.

The HK hooks I modified my VTAC 2 point sling to use allow me to swap uppers/lowers as needed, or remove the sling for cleaning purposes in a matter of seconds. This simple and effective modification is an old trick that is well worth the $$.

As you can see the buffer tube has some wrap on it. I have always worn a beard/mustache. Beards and buffer tubes equal ripped hairs. another trick of the trade. I always try to wrap my work guns and personal guns with tape or vet wrap. This prevents your hairs from getting ripped out and your eyes from watering when they do. :50:

Vet wrap is simple and effective for this. Once you determine the correct stock length of pull, wrap it and call it G2G.

Ouyz04O.jpg

HGpx322.jpg

All up, sling tape, scope, etc, this gun weighs 7#s on the nose, which is pretty light all things considered.

K1MdCQ5.jpg

These are just some tricks of the trade that I have learned from years of using the platform. I have been using the AR/M4/M16 series since 1988 when I left home to go to the Home of the Infantry, FT Benning in 1988, and now, 30+ years later, still use one at work (though I am now just doing mostly do admin stuff, and my guys usually do the heavy lifting).

Nice build, I just bought a Colt 6720 with the same idea in mind, shoots 262 great and all I need to do is the trigger and a floating handguard.

I have a Frankengun I built. Cav Arms poly lower, Clarks carbon fiber float tube, used an 18" Remington R-15 takeoff barrel. Put a Timney trigger in it. It is very light and very accurate.

Originally Posted By: C.JayNice build, I just bought a Colt 6720 with the same idea in mind, shoots 262 great and all I need to do is the trigger and a floating handguard.

The Colt 6720 is truly and outstanding rifle, and I prefer it over the heavier 6920 version. The odds of shooting enough to significantly effect the accuracy when using a skinny barrel, versus a heavy profile barrel are slim, but it sure makes a noticeable difference when carrying them.

jmtcQP0.jpg

Back