Coyote squeaking?

So I went out tonight shotgunning to a cut Hayfield that is really bright in the moonlight. I sat in an overgrown fence row in the shadows and had put a spinning decoy up wind about 20 yards and maybe 10 yards out in the field. I had a cross wind left to right. The first set I let out a couple of howls and then some rabbit squeals. After about 20 mins I moved up the fence a couple hundred yards. This time I howled and decided to make some squeaks with an open Reed. It wasn't 2 mins later I heard one trotting up in the leaves. The only problem was it was behind me. I was looking over my shoulder while it stood maybe 15 feet behind me. On the other side of the fence is a small dirt road, then a strip of woods that might be 20 yards across and then another field so it was standing in the strip of woods while still being silhouetted in the moonlight. After about 30 seconds it started squeaking. I've never heard a coyote do that. I've heard the estrus chirps that Randy Anderson speaks about and I've heard wines. This sounded just like a mouse but a little louder. It did that for a minute then It walked about 30 yards out of sight but I could still hear it wandering around in the leaves. I slowly turned the best that I could with out making too much noise. When I thought I turned enough to get a shot(if I could get it to come back) I started squeaking again. I couldn't find the first call I used cause somehow I laid it down, so this one was louder. I only let out a couple of squeaks. It just stopped and started squeaking again. It did that for about 2 minutes. Finally I found the other call (the green primos lil dog) and squeaked again. This time it came running back but was further back. It started squeaking again maybe trying to pinpoint my location. I could see it silhouetted again so I aimed and squeezed the trigger. I was at a really odd angle being only half turned around so I didn't get a perfect hit. It disappeared when I shot. I had to go about 30 yards to an opening to get through the gate. At that point I could see it in the field. So it hadn't got far and wasn't moving fast. I seen it go over the hill and that was it. It went in to some really thick stuff that had been logged maybe 20 years ago and is really over grown now. I only had a little penlight so I didn't look very much. I'll go in the morning and look. I've never heard a coyote make little mouse like squeaks. Im curious if anybody else has and what other people thoughts are.

Funny you mention that, I had one do that just the other night. I thought it might have been a young deer but after my set I got up and walked over to see coyote tracks. Weird is what I thought, don't know what the vocalization means or what it is for.

Its really weird. I have no doubt that it was squeaking. I got up early this morning to go out to look for it, but it was pouring rain. I was hoping to find a blood trail. I'm really curious to whether it was male or female.

99.9% of the time you will find no blood trail when using a shotgun.

first, if they run after being shot, they are not hit/hurt very bad at all.

second, shotgun pellets tend to make very small holes that do not bleed very much. not near enough to trail up on anyways.

You're probably right about the blood trail. I shot it with #4 buck and it was maybe 20 yards. I have no doubt that I hit it, I'm not sure how good considering the circumstances but I do think he died shortly after. He wasn't moving very good at all. I've seen a lot of death runs where an animal should've dropped right there. Most take off really fast for 30-100 yds before piling up. I shot a coyote with a .270 on the inside of the shoulder that blew off the other leg but it still ran into a tree line where it was dead on arrival. Don't see how it could've ran at all I've seen deer do the same thing. I've heard a lot of theories about how and why but I'm not sure

interesting. I never heard one squeak, but I am never surprised. Makes me start thinking about some of the strange sounds I've heard on stand . Just a thought, a friends dog has found two coyotes I shotgunned and couldn't find on bare ground.

I have heard an alpha female squeak at her pups to kind of round them up or that is at least what I thought I heard and saw happen. I have a similar sound I have tried early season to see if it would call in pups before they are dispersed and it hasn't really worked, so maybe I was hearing/seeing things, but it is the only time I have heard a coyote squeak.

That could be what happened Kirsch. Maybe it thought my squeaking was more like a puppy whining. I wasn't really trying to sound like anything in particular. Just different from a rabbit

Back