Tires for the Tacoma

pyscodog

I recently bought a Toyota Tacoma. I'm not liking the tires so they need replaced. My question is, get a mud terrain or all terrain? I know the mud tires are noisy but I like the way they look plus the aggressive thread is nice when the roads get nasty. All terrains are OK and usually will get you out if its not to bad. Its my daily driver and see's as much or more pavement as dirt.

A nice wench will come later but tires are first.

I run the Falken Wildpeak M/T on my F150. Clean really well in the mud, go like a champ in the snow, have a good bite driving up hills in fields (often can stay in 2wd), not overly noisy on the highway considering the tread. I drive more in dirt/gravel road and off road while hunting. Only drive on pavement about 1 or 2 times a week, average trip is about 20 miles one way (2 lane). I have drove it up the road about an hour (4 lane and interstate) and it’s about the same road noise wise at those speeds and handling is fine. Can’t really comment on longevity. Had them a little over a year now and only put about 4k miles on them.

Kinda leaning towards the AT's even though I like the aggressive tread and looks of the MT's. I also know that pavement and MT'S don't get along that well to. Kills the tread life for sure. But I don't rack up a lot of miles on a vehicle either.

Last edited:
I have done extremely well with Bridgestone Dueler AT, At2, and now AT3. I get the LT 10 ply that has 2/32 more tread and still 50,000 mi warranty.
Been getting between 40-50,000 mi treadwear.
Costco has been offering $150 off set.

I put Goodyear Duratracs on my new Tacoma. They are not passenger car tire quiet but go down the road smooth and are excellent off road. We are full into winter here and so far they are impressive in the snow.

Have run both the Duratracs and then KO2 on two different rigs. Only KO2 from now on for me.

The Duratracs were great for the first half of their life, but I friggin' hated them by the time they were done. Sidewalls made of paper. Noisy as heck after about half tread. Needed a lot of weight to balance and never could quite get rid of the front end shimmy with them. Traction sucked after about half tread too.

Felt good doing this to them on my way to the tire store for new KO2s.

IMG_00551.jpg

- DAA

I think a 10 ply would really be to much tire for the Tacoma. I've looked at several tires on line, just need to go see them for real now. My tires aren't worn out but need to replace them before the weather starts getting bad.

I put a set of Nitto Ridge Grappler's on my truck a little over a year ago. I don't get off-road nearly as much the tires deserve, but I've had zero complaints when I do. They are marketed as a hybrid tire.

I've had the KO's on my Gen 1 Raptor, basically the same as the O2s' but with no tread cuts for longevity. I've also used the Mickey Thompson MT's, as well as the Toyo Open County MT's. I'm currently running the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac on my new Raptor.

I really like them all, but I'll get into quick detail for ya. The KO's handle phenomenal on the gravel, and off road, they have great response and are very smooth.

When I decided to get the more aggressive tires I was expecting a lot less mileage but ended up getting over 40K per set which for what I do is really good. The Mickeys are awesome for traction but I noticed instantly the amount of rubber that was not contacting the gravel compared to my KO's and they seemed to be a lot looser handling on the gravel and off road at marginal speeds. Another thing to note on the more aggressive MT's the tread seems to be more Horizontal and when climbing or driving on side hills that are slick with snow, mud or ice, I notices the truck liked to slide sideways.

I am really enjoying the Wranglers with the aggressive vertical track for climbing and side hills, I instantly noticed the handling difference and how they will not allow my vehicle to slide sideways very easily on steeper slopes, even with quite a bit of snow. We got a foot a week ago and the Wranglers are hammering. They are also comparable to the KO's regarding the handling "feel" off road and on the gravel.

Quote:I think a 10 ply would really be to much tire for the Tacoma

I thought the same and used P rated tires til the tire manager recommended the LT 10's benefits of more rubber and anti chip rubber compound with a stronger casing. Been using them for a decade.

Originally Posted By: DAAHave run both the Duratracs and then KO2 on two different rigs. Only KO2 from now on for me.

The Duratracs were great for the first half of their life, but I friggin' hated them by the time they were done. Sidewalls made of paper. Noisy as heck after about half tread. Needed a lot of weight to balance and never could quite get rid of the front end shimmy with them. Traction sucked after about half tread too.

IMG_00551.jpg

- DAA . Freaking hilarious Dave looks like something I would do. Lol. In fact I have. I need to find the video. Also that isn’t a wimpy burnout either. That looks like a proper handeling of the situation. Lol

I got a good deal from Discount Tires on a set of Pathfinders. They are Hankook but sold as a house brand for Discount Tire. The price fit the budget and are 55000 mile tires. They have an AT tread and are supposed to be fairly quiet. We shall see!! Thanks for all the responses.

dave is spot on about the KO2's IMO they are the high desert coyote hunters tire, I have driven over all manor of stuff with mine the last couple years. rocks like no other, hundreds of miles of ruff roads, sharp rocks, etc. I simply can't imagine a tuffer tire. I have not had one flat yet. 2 full seasons of calling under my belt with them. I have over 30k on mine now. you really start to see what a tire does as it ages and wears down. the tuffness of the K02's will be nice as my tread depth goes away.

I am a K02 guy for the foreseeable future. its nice not having to have used the plug kit or the compressor for a while. tire problems can and have gotten in the way of my calling time when I have been hunting, not anymore.

Another vote here for BFG KO2. I was deer hunting Saturday and ended up in a bad place in the national forest. I won't say the KO2's got me out but they were a comfort climbing a long steep rutted hillside full of jagged sharp rocks.

Years ago all I ran was BFG's and love them. Now that I'm retired, I checked on the KO's and they were just to much out of my budget.

Originally Posted By: DAAHave run both the Duratracs and then KO2 on two different rigs. Only KO2 from now on for me.

IMG_00551.jpg

- DAA
lol.gif
lol.gif
thumbup.gif

Back