Call for black bear???

msinc

I want to try calling a black bear in the east...what's the best call and sound to use??? Interested in buying a call and/or having a custom made. I have some burl blank material I can provide, but will take one finished too. Thanks in advance for reading this!!!

First bear i called in i used a cottontail distress call. I think anything will work. But i would suggest trying fawn bleats. Not screeching / dying critter noises, just regular fawn bleats like you hear them do when theyre calling for mom. Bears love to eat faens, and i think when you do the "getting killed" noises it makes them more cautious. This august i called in 3 bears in 12 attempts by just doing calm faen bleats. The first came charging in like the tasmanian devil after just a couple minutes, but busted ne right before i could shoot. The second came sneaking in slow and quiet, but with no attempt to circle down wind. Shot him at 15 yards. The third was cool because i was actually watching her when i began calling. She was maybe 200 yards out, and the very second i made the first bleat she came running at me. Shed stop after covering a little ground and look around and listen, id fo one more bleat and shed run closer and stop look listen again.Only took maybe 4 bleats and a minute total to bring her in to 40 yards where i shot her. Give it a try, you may be surprised. I think that style of calling brings in predators with much less caution. Called a coyote in on tuesday that came in from upwind, no attempt to circle down wind. I really think its because i was just doing calm fawn bleats, and that animals coming in carefully and trying to circle down wind of the caller is due to the fact that most people call using dying critter noises, and the predator wants to know what is doing the killing to make sure its not entering a dangerous situation.

Thanks for all the info sir. I will give this a try. Leaving for the mountain tomorrow. I do have a call I can fawn bleat with. I will post a follow up to let you know how I made out...thanks again sir!!

What Slagiatt said. Here in Washington state I use a lot of Fawn with emotion in it. I do a lot of Raspy distress that's what my bear calls are. I also do lots of elk here. I'm not selling calls here at this time Have to renew my call thing to sell. Good luck i'm mainly on Face book now. Rick

Back