Wisconsin night laws

Originally Posted By: HeymartayIs wisc still no lights allowed, ir included.

Lights are only allowed at the point of kill. You can’t scan with a light.

Originally Posted By: HeymartayBut you can use thermal for scanning and nv for shooting but no ir. Night Vision for shooting will be drastically impacted with No IR, unless getting really good NV. If going that route, you might as well scan and shoot with thermal as long as it is legal.

I talked to a conservation officer a couple of years ago and he stated that IR is considered a light that cast a beam and therefore can only be used at the point of kill. and he said point of kill for coyote hunting is considered the point at which you know a critter is inbound and you use the IR to assist you in identification and shooting the critter.

i find that with snow on the ground there really is no need for IR. without snow you definitely need it unless there is a full moon.

Before going full thermal i had a rig with a D-750 night vision scope and IR torch that i used in conjunction with a thermal monocular. The pair worked well and allowed me to stay within the confines of the law.

We need to change the law to allow scanning once you start activity calling. Contact Rep. Tiffany and ask him to bring this up for legislation. I contacted him last year about it and he seemed interested in it. With an election year coming he might be more inclined to move in it if we get enough people requesting it.
I live and hunt in wolf country and you really need to be able to scan to have enough time to ID what your looking at.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IHarvestFurWe need to change the law to allow scanning once you start activity calling. Contact Rep. Tiffany and ask him to bring this up for legislation. I contacted him last year about it and he seemed interested in it. With an election year coming he might be more inclined to move in it if we get enough people requesting it.
I live and hunt in wolf country and you really need to be able to scan to have enough time to ID what your looking at.

I thought this was being worked on years ago and then it has been lost in space.

Originally Posted By: IHarvestFurWe need to change the law to allow scanning once you start activity calling. Contact Rep. Tiffany and ask him to bring this up for legislation. I contacted him last year about it and he seemed interested in it. With an election year coming he might be more inclined to move in it if we get enough people requesting it.

Heres the thread that was started here years ago.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...1751&page=1

I know the OP quite well and was aware of it. Thanks for bringing it to the fore front though. I brought this up to Rep. Tiffany last year and he seemed interested in doing something with it. Going the Conservation Congress rout take 3-5 years to get anything passed and written into law. Been down that road already. So by going to the state legislature is the way to get this done. Here is his email if you would be interested in expressing your concern. A great example FOR being able to scan is to being able to distinguish a coyote and wolf.

mailto:Sen.Tiffany@legis.wisconsin.gov

I guess we’ll never be able to scan in WI. As soon as you ask for support and contact an elected official that is familiar with it and even provide the contact info you get crickets.
Proves my point I’ve always stated that sportsmen are “reactive” and not “proactive” and don’t get involved until they loose something. Come on guys let’s get something going!

Back