Places to hunt

tripod3

Just had a long talk with two landowners whose large land parcels I get to hunt freely.
The same terms keep coming up trust, honesty, respect, gates left open, garbage(including spent shells), roads torn up, and shot items or animals.
I have great respect everywhere cause I simply do it right.
Earning their respect-not in the car salesman bs way but demonstrating it. Don't park in front of a gate, duh.
Each year I get invited to hunt new ground purely on my reputation. This month a new landowner with 1200 sheep.
This is a point of pride for me and wish it was more widespread.
And yes some landowners are cheaters but still expect you to go by the book.

Same story here, I get asked to go new places every year. Be respectable and responsible and most are glad to let you go. It's pretty easy to just do things right and not have problems.

It sure helps to live in or near that areas you are hunting so you can nurture the relationship. It's pretty tough to get to know landowners if you have to travel a ways to get there. I'm happy for anyone who lives in the midst of their hunting ground.

Originally Posted By: HellgateIt sure helps to live in or near that areas you are hunting so you can nurture the relationship. It's pretty tough to get to know landowners if you have to travel a ways to get there. I'm happy for anyone who lives in the midst of their hunting ground.

I probably wouldn't drive over 40 miles to hunt on a regular basis. My problem is that I almost feel guilty asking for permission to hunt(it's a me problem, I know).

One thing I like to do every year is to send all landowners a Christmas card and a note thanking them for letting me hunt on their land. I have gotten many good responses to this.

NRA Benefactor

These virtues are still important to most in my generation. As the next generation moves in and takes over, tries to raise a family and make ends meet with the extremely high cost of everything AG nowadays, many are sacrificing them for a check. Many, whom are willing and able to write that big check, don't possess these virtues. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the future.

I feel blessed to be a lifetime member of a small community, where how you conduct yourself is still important!

I cant agree more with what has been said. I have a ton of places to hunt even now when I need to drive onto the property and sometimes bring a friend with a SxS so I can get around. Our country is rural farm land but not really in big chunks so the landowner want to be careful about where shots are going relating to their livestock and neighbors.

I have several landowners that call me and let me know where they are seeing coyotes regularly and tell me they have cows in there but to go ahead and hunt it because they know I know the difference between a cow and a coyote as well knowing what is behind them.

Interesting story; One landowner runs right at 660 acers in one chunk, He leased the deer hunting (Archery) to some folks from out of state for a pretty good penny. Those guys have left gates open, rutted up his pastures with their 4x4's and frankly the straw that broke the camels back so to speak is he watched a coyote walk under one of them and the guy did not take a shot at the coyote. He had told them to shoot every coyote they saw. He called me the next day and told me that he was no longer going to lease and would only let me bow hunt, gun hunt and kill every coyote I could. He was done with leasing and letting anyone hunt his property.

I will admit some of my success has been due to my FIL who was a prominent stock farmer in the area. Those family ties are how you get started..... However if you are good as others have mentioned word will spread and you may well find yourself with more ground then you can cover.

Just some old guy thoughts.

Back