AR15 barrel

crazyyote

Happy Thanksgiving all,
Back to my May 2019 post I asked opinions on Wilson Combat AR barrels in 22 Nosler and several of you helped out there. Wilson is currently running a sale, 22 Nosler 8" twist fluted and threaded for under $250 or a 204 Ruger 12" twist for $199 fluted and threaded. Both are 18" length. I'm on the fence but would like to pick up one or the other for a build. I've been stashing parts. I've got a Dtech 20 Tactical and a nice X caliber .223 Wylde setup so I'm trying not to be too redundant. Given your druthers which Wilson barrel would be your choice for Coyotes? I'm unaware of any other barrels from a reputable company at this price point currently. Thanks and enjoy the day.

In the shorter barrels I would have to suggest the bigger bore diameter. 18" 22 nosler will get you 3300ish fps with 55s in a max load.

Last edited:
Varminter,
Thanks much for the information. You weighed in this past May also. Was just reading those past posts before putting this up. The only thing bothering me is I've had 2 barrel makers tell me that the 1/2x28 TPI at the muzzle is no good for a high pressure round like the Nosler. My suppressor setup is 1/2x28. They say it bells the end of the barrel and it may not take too long to do it thus ruining accuracy. Both I've spoken with recommend the 5/8x24 TPI for a Nosler. I'm sunk there unless I use an adaptor of some sort.

Ahh a suppressor....now I see why you were looking at shorter barrels. I'm guessing xcaliber or columbia would build it how you want it. You ever considered a 6x6.8?
Talk about a coyote hammer.

Yup, Of course I was short sighted and saw no reason for a .30 caliber can. I mean, I like everything .22 caliber and down for predators!! So I bought a YHM Phantom for 22 caliber!!. Ha, dumbazz!!!

I may have went full circle on this and may go with another 20 Tactical barrel. Why not since I've got all the goodies for it. Then one will wear a thermal and the 2nd a night vision optic. The 20 calibers seem to really knock the coyotes down with the 35 grain Berger bullet. And if an accurate shot it seems to be really good on the fur.

Last edited:
That's why I just assembled a 20p upper, when I can afford some type of NV I will have a much flatter shooting(than 223) night rig(suppressed). It is shooting the 40 gr Nosler bt very accurately.

After going from .223 to 22 nosler to 6x6.8 I dont see myself going back to the smaller calibers. Those 70 ballistic tips at 3275 really pick up my any slack.

I know you love those things varminter. You put the hurt on them for sure. You get more than I do yearly. I always appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

And so the quest ends. After looking at mean point blank range data and the ranges I engage coyotes at I selected an X-caliber 22" fluted barrel SPR profile in .204 Ruger. I chose a 1/11 twist for better stabilization of 39-40 grain bullets. I wanted a commercial caliber in the end for either my kids or resale value as I age. What the heck, if it's as wicked as my Dtech .20 Tactical it will be amazing. I decided the 22 Nosler might just be a little harder on fur too with the 55 grain bullets. It should be a perfect match for my thermal scope at night. Point and click, drop coyote.

In for results.....
The 20 cals aren't very forgiving on marginal hits which seem to come at night with multiples and trying to time doubles. No doubt it will be easier on fur though.

Last edited:
Back