Calling wolves

Slagiatt

Planning to head to idaho next month to call wolves and lions. Question for anybody who has had success calling wolves, how long were you calling to get a response?

Well after being in Alaska for almost 20 years and calling Wolves ....the most important thing I can tell you is that you CANNOT treat them/call them as if they were just giant coyotes.

Its a whole different psychology.

You may call 10 minutes ..... or 2 to 3 hours on and off.

You can never really get rid of your coyotes .... they have no Achilles heel.

You Can get rid of your Wolves; they Do have an Achilles heel, which is: Territory. THEIR TERRITORY.

Cas in Wyoming

Originally Posted By: Western RiflemanWell after being in Alaska for almost 20 years and calling Wolves ....the most important thing I can tell you is that you CANNOT treat them/call them as if they were just giant coyotes.

Its a whole different psychology.

You may call 10 minutes ..... or 2 to 3 hours on and off.

You can never really get rid of your coyotes .... they have no Achilles heel.

You Can get rid of your Wolves; they Do have an Achilles heel, which is: Territory. THEIR TERRITORY.

Cas in Wyoming

A lot in this. We have way too many up here in my remote area and I see them more than expected but not when calling cats which are prolonged sequences. I am of the opinion the best calling method is talking to wolves once you understand their territory.
Just an opinion.
Hef-A

We are headed to Idaho at the end of this month again. Elk calf and coyote distress can both work. Just don't over do it. I never had any wolf vocals work.

Originally Posted By: BailWe are headed to Idaho at the end of this month again. Elk calf and coyote distress can both work. Just don't over do it. I never had any wolf vocals work.

Best of luck to you. Were I to use a distress call the elk calf would be the one, followed by a cow elk call.
I will be down that way in January I look forwards to your results.

Hef-A

I never have called for wolves but I did make a suggestion one time and I have stayed at a Holiday Inn!
smile.gif

I suggested to Lone Butte up in Canada to try some Coyote vocal sounds playing them back to back on full volume to make it sound like a coyote fight was going on.

I just figured that Wolves would like to make an appearance to a noisy coyote fight. I don't think you can over do it if you are trying to make it sound like a big coyote fight is taking place.

Check out the below link, it is Lone Butte's wolf calling story.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...4091&page=1

I’ve had success with cow horn tip wolf howler( pm member Brad H made it), coyote vocals, Sceery AP7 rabbit distress, wildlife technology calls moose calf in distress, even squeaking has worked when I got in close enough. I was guiding and I wish I could say we shot everyone of those but we certainly did not. We mainly pushed the wolves on snowshoes.

As far as how long I treated it pretty similar to coyotes. I mean if you walk a long way in to a single calling spot you stay longer than average. If I know 100% wolves or coyotes are right there by hearing or seeing them I may stay hours but that is rare. Usually very similar to how long you’d stay for coyotes. No experience with lions.

Last edited:
I was once calling coyotes and getting excited as I saw them coming in and then immediately moving off. It was depressing like a big screw up.
Then mr. wolf shows up, sits a scans then comes directly to me til it winded me and spun back the way it came.

Back