CC Revolver Options

Smith and Wesson makes some fine five shot .357 mags built on the J-frame. Some of them are pretty unpleasant to shoot to say the least but if you are using one to keep someone from doing you in then I doubt you would notice that.

Ruger, Taurus, and a few others make small wheel guns in .357 too. I have a Model 65 Taurus snubbie that I keep in my car. Being an all steel gun it is not bad to shoot with full power loads. Not a lot of fun but I did not buy it for fun.

I have both the airweight j frame 38 special I carry. My wife has the LCR 38 special. Both are great guns. I have crimson trace on both.

Jon

For a flat out best pick concealed carry revolver I think the S&W K-frame 3" round butt Model 65/13/64/10 series is unbeaten. The 2.5" M66/19 is a close second. Unfortunately those guns are no longer produced and getting difficult and expensive to find and purchase on the used gun market. Those midsize frame all steel guns are fantastic handling and shooting sixguns. These were THE GUN back in the day for law enforcement plainclothes and off duty. There is a cult following for the K 3" RB guns. I know mine aren't for sale.

And I would never be without an alloy J-frame snubbie .38 Special. The little lightweight snub nose guns are incredibly handy. I never work a day without a M642 along for the ride somewhere. It used to be my beat up old M38 Bodyguard. It could be on an ankle, in a pants pocket or jacket pocket but regardless whatever the primary gun is the snubbie is ALWAYS there.

Mentioned to my wife that I’m looking at buying a revolver for CC and now she wants another revolver but in 9mm.

Tried a Kimber 3 inch hammer model. Fell in love this,will be my next carry gun. The trigger was amazing, better than some custom triggers I have used.

My go to is a Colt agent from the mid 80's. Its a six shot, and parkerized, and is my most carried handgun. I always feel safer with a revolver for a pocket gun, but when I carry bigger its usually a 1911 45.

Bought a Kimber K6S & love it. I’m shooting +P .38 Special in it because I can’t recover from a .357 mag shot fast enough. Lucky Gunner did tests of .38 Special, .357 mag, & 9mm ammo a while ago & the results were an eye opener.

I packed a Charter Arms 4" 38 Special at work(nights in the Seattle rail yards). I shot a S&W Mod 13 4" HB With custom adjustable sights that was one of the nicest carry guns. But my favorite was a Star PD in 45 ACP 28oz and shot like a Gold Cup.

Originally Posted By: GCNo doubt, lightweight .357's are no fun to shoot.

Plan was to practice and carry with 38 + P .Most manufactures that produce 38 + P rated revolvers state not to shoot a steady diet of + P which is why I was looking at a light weight .357 magnum.

It's a good plan. And I know you have it figured out. You have plenty of experience and a lot of common sense.

Ruger Sp101, S&W J-Frame, both good choices.

I would opt for the models with adjustable sights, reason being that I might need to reach out a bit further than arms length, and I want the accuracy/poi to be there.

Consider the scenario of a mass shooting in a church, restaurant, etc. by a bad guy with body armor. I want more power than a 9mm or 40 to try and get through the body armor, and I might be shooting at 20-30yds.

When I have that kind of concern, I carry my Ruger Security Six, with Buffalo Bore 180gr Hardcast. This gives me reach/distance, accuracy and power. I carry it beacuse I do not have a Sp101 or J-frame, yet.

Back