Help me pick a scope for my son’s new AR

Harley

So my youngest son is getting his first AR 5.56 for Christmas. Needing to scope it for him and unsure what to get. The budget is $200 and the use will be some night hunting, and general plinking. I have considered an illuminated reticle scope because I think he would think it’s cool and it would be nice for night hunting. The scope I’ve looked at is the Vortex crossfire II with V Bright reticle. I’m sure the glass isn’t anything spectacular though.
On the flip side, I feel I would get a much better scope if I went a standard reticle. Considering either a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33, Leupold 2-7x33, Burris Fullfield II, or Vortex Diamondback. I’m also considering a 1-4 series if scopes too. Just not sure which way to head with this. Any advice?

Magnification should be determined based on average shot distance. For night hunting a large objective will help. 3x9x50 would probably be optimal.. check out a Nikon prostaff p3 3x9x50. The best all round scope for the money that I have found so far is a sightron si 3x9x40 commonly priced at $135.

If night hunting is your passion then you would be much better off with a night vision scope

https://shop.theopticzone.com/rifle-scopes/sightron-sih-3-9x40-hhr-matte-riflescope-31004/

https://shop.theopticzone.com/rifle-scopes/nikon-prostaff-p3-3-9x50-bdc-matte-riflescope-16595/

Depending on his age, older I's ask him what he'd like. Younger something in a fixed power so he can concentrate on shooting and not fiddling with the scope.

I definitely don’t want a large objective and don’t feel that it’s needed, even for night hunting. I also don’t want him having a high magnification scope for multiple reasons.

I’m looking at purchasing him either a 1-4 or 2-7. I was mainly looking for suggestions on which line of scopes to look at. I guess though, I’ve been in this sport long enough that I already know what’s good, and what isn’t.

I’m having a hard time deciding to get him a sub par scope with illuminated reticle which I know he would think was cool, and it’ll still get the job done. Or go ahead and get better glass and grab up the Redfield or the Leupold. Hmmm decisions sometimes are tough...

If you can up your budget by $60 you can have it all

Camaraland has the Burris 4x 1.5-6x40mm with illuminated dot for $259.

I have one on my CZ 22 Mag for bobcat and fox, I don't pass up coyotes in fact I took this one just to see how a 22 Mag works on them.

This is a nice scope, lots of FOV on the low end and 6x on the top.

1gYQvc.jpg

I tried the Buschnell AR 1.5-6x40 w/ill dot and wasn't happy with it, too much fisheye on the bottom end.

$199 will get you into a Leupold Freedon 1.5-4x20mm, Burris FF 2-7. All good scopes that I have used. I think the Freedom is every bit as good as the older VX-2 which was a c-note more. I'm using one of the Freedon 1.5-4x20's on my Bernardelli 2000 Combo gun in 12ga/5.6x50R Mag for coyote hunting right now in closer cover. Quail season is open also.

Last edited:
AWS: I’ve actually been eyeballing that scope in 1-4x20 for the last few days at $199 BUT the 3.6 MOA dot is just too large for precise shooting. While this will be a hunting rifle, he’s starting to get into shooting targets for accuracy. That’s one thing I did like about the crossfire II was the fine illuminated crosshair.

There’s really no other way as I see it. He’s getting the Leupold to go on it for now. Maybe he’ll swap it out later for something different and throw the Leupold on one of his other rifles. He’s 13 so he’s still learning what he likes.

I would suggest you Arken Optics EP 4-16X50 can be a good choice. Its shortened design and extra-low dispersion glass offers massive amounts of benefits and yet, maintained all of the amazing characteristics of EP series.

Buy him a 6x swfa they will have black friday sales soon and usually you can get rings level and scope for 260$. They are tough as nails and will give him some room to grow.

I have had really good luck with the Burris 536. I bought one for an ar, used it for about a year. Now I have them on two of my ARs.
They are tough, dependable, functional and accurate. The bullet drop compensation recticle is right on for a 223 and is simple to use. I’ve shot thousands of rounds through both guns. Targets, Coyotes a lion (one round) and prairie dogs

You can get a new one for around $250. The list retail is about &400

Back