Ar-10 acquisition

thegrizzly

Hello all!
So I was looking for some advice on an ar-10 style rifle. A LGS has a used dpms lr-308, 16" barrel, plus hard case and moumted nikon 3-9x40. The previous owner also swapped the standard stock for what looks like a magpul moe, and the handguard for a quad rail (sorry, can't tell you the brand). Anyhow, that for $900. Assuming it's not a beat up POS, that sound like a decent price? I'm way more familiar with the ar-15 platform and kinda an idiot on the 10's. (For that matter, I've never even shot a .308. Don't know anyone with one, and until now not able to get one)
Not looking to make 1000+ yard shots. Not looking for flawless finish. I'm just looking for something to hit reliably on the target, run mostly reliable, hit out 500 yds, maybe a little more, and leave a bigger hole than a .223. Oh, and all without dropping my life savings, which is difficult for .308 semis...
Anyhow, thoughts?

Edit: before anyone can come along and say it, I know, the title doesn't quite match the content. The AR-10 and DPMS LR-308 are NOT the same...

Last edited:
Good ole PSA! I'm graduating college this month, and depending on who hires me (if anyone), I may not even be in the same state in a month. Otherwise, they'd be the first choice.
Other than that, it seems good to go, but you'd reccomend swapping the upper, is that correct?

Is assembling one yourself out of the question?

I have five Aero M5 builds with Ballistic Advantage barrels... they shoot fantastic.

Just a few tools, which can always be used in the future, and you can assemble your own the way you want.

The price on parts has perhaps never been cheaper so now would be a good time to build.

$900 would go a long way in getting you into a much better rifle if you build.

I bought one of the Midway USA stoner 9 twist uppers for under just under 400 when they were either on sale or using my birthday discount I don't remember. I put that upper on a PSA lower. It is very accurate with the Dogtown 70 grain ammo From Midway USA. Heavy but accurate but with that said you could put any Barrel you wanted on that upper and it still leaves money for a quality trigger.
I've shot at 1 coyote with it in my backyard he was 343 yards and he never took a step. That combo works well.

Last edited:
I have a friend that has one in 6.5 creedmoor for sale with a spare barrel. It has been proven out to 1300 yrds.
$2000

6.5 Creedmoor for sale.
Aero Precision M5 upper and lower. FDE cerakote. M5 Enhanced Keymod handgaurd. Superlative Arms Adjustable gas block. Rock River Arms National Match Varmint Trigger. Magpul PRS stock. Lilja Match barrel with spare brand new Ballistic Advantage barrel. Magpul long range Mags included. Evolution Gun Works 20 moa riser. This gun has proven itself to 1350 yards!
Scope not included. 2800 for the build. First 2k takes it.

With those links posted looks like you could get a lower from PSA and an upper and be way under 900 as long as the different manufacturer parts work together. AR 10 doesn’t interchange as easy as AR 15. But for 160 on the PSA lower and 400 on that upper at midway, that leaves 340$ to spend on a scope and be in a new rifle for the same price as used.

Any of those have a short shipping delay? I've heard rumored that PSA can take up to two months (probably just a fluke, but still...) and as mentioned in an earlier reply, I don't know if I'll even be in the same state in a month or two. I'd like to build one, though.

Stay away from PSA. Their customer service sucks. If you have any problems with their products(and you will), you're better off pounding sand. Ever wonder why their price is so cheap?

308 is a good solid gun I think to 800 yards. I went with a ER-Shaw AR10 in 6.5 creedmoor 24 inch barrel 2 years ago when they first started making AR guns. I have S/N 68. I am very happy. Went with 24 inch barrel. at the time for $1040.00 shipped. I think they have raised price a little but my gun shoots 1 inch or less with federal Ammo.look at gun test magazine article on this gun. They also make the same gun in 308. 308 ammo has come down on price a lot since the 6.5 creedmoor. Think about ER-Shaw AR10. Best kept secret in rifles. They have been making barrels for every AR brand for 50 years. MD

ND, thanks, I'll keep it in mind. John Deere'd ar?
lol.gif
thumbup.gif
is that one yours?

Not sure what could go wrong with the Magpul stock on a PSA lower. Either it's in Spec or it isn't. They all need a new trigger Imo. I prefer 3# Velocities.

Dogtown 70 grain ammo at under $0.50 a piece on your birthday discount in the nine twist 243 from BCA or Midway is about as cheap as a sub Moa combination as you can get. Heavy but accurate and cheap.

Last edited:
That IS true. The a lower's a lower. Doesn't do much except house the trigger group. The upper assembly? Now that can have issues...
.243 from bca or midway, noted.

Back