Best Gloves for Below Zero hunting

jk2paintworx

I am on a never ending hunt for a good pair of gloves for when the temps get down in the Sub Zeros. We hunt a lot at night in the winter and some of those damp windy nights are brutal and my hands are always the first thing to tap out. Big bulky mittens with hand warmers inside seem to do the best but they do not offer enough dexterity to operate the remote. I am seeing a lot of battery operated heated gloves but I don’t wanna spend the money unless they actually work. I have heated insoles and they are not all that great.

For me what works the best is I use liner gloves on both hands with the warmest Mitt I can find over the top. Once on stand, I leave both gloves on my left hand and this is what I use to scan, etc. I keep my right hand in my pocket, with an electric hand warmer. I use the right hand to change sounds on my remote, as well as I pull it out when it is time to shoot. Most times, a long wait time would be 30 seconds - 60 seconds to pull the trigger. Even at -20, a hand with a glove liner can usually stand it for that long. As soon as the shooting is done, hand goes back in the pocket and I grab the warmer and a few seconds later, my hand is warm again. The electric warmers work way better than hothands, etc. Each one lasts about 3 hours, so I have 4 ready to go to last all night if necessary. Once the stand is over, I put my 2nd Mitt on for carrying everything back to the truck.

I used to carry a hand warming cuff when it got really cold. That works OK too, but just more stuff to take with you.

I wear nomex flight gloves(real air force, there are knock offs) under good waterproof insulated mitts. The nomex allow me to remove the mitts for several minutes to shoot. This combination has been good without warmers to -20-30 wind chill. I wear a white hoodie with the pouch when real cold the windy side hand goes in the pouch. I haven't used hand warmers of any kind often, tried the disposable type and they work. I just never remember to buy them.

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaGood wool mittens with finger flap. Flip up to shoot and back down to stay warm.

Wool Glommets. If it's really cold I wear liners under them.

Outdoor Research Firebrand mitts will comfortably take your hands to the moon and back.

The price here is unbeatable but read the reviews! The pair I got were brand new with the tag still on, sound like some people got used pairs. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-ecw-mittens-new?a=2165102#

Even a couple hours below -30 last winter and my hands were still fine, both warmth and dexterity is similar to having your hand up a cow's butt. Last year I didnt use any liner gloves, last week I got a pair of mechanix gloves that fit well inside but I refuse to use chemical or electric heat and these mitts work even if they're outdoor temp to begin with.

EDIT!!! I just noticed in the link I provided it says somewhere in the details that they dont come with liners...? That would be buzzkill.

Last edited:
zero degrees is my threshold I normally stay in the truck if its much colder. I use kuiu marino 210 gloves. they aren't very thick and my hands still freeze, but its at least manageable and still takes the edge off the cold. I can easily feel the trigger and maintain dexterity.

Here's a little secret also. Your hands will learn to suck up the cold, I work with steel tools bare hand all winter then go coyote hunting on my free time.

MN winter last year was the coldest I have lived through, whole months with a few days that peaked at temps above zero. By February full moon last year I was sitting 45 minute stands in -10 without gloves as long as it wasnt too windy. Those crazy ice mountain climbers train their hands by holding them in ice water all the time. Ice is cheaper than gloves, start training.

Originally Posted By: KirschFor me what works the best is I use liner gloves on both hands with the warmest Mitt I can find over the top. Once on stand, I leave both gloves on my left hand and this is what I use to scan, etc. I keep my right hand in my pocket, with an electric hand warmer. I use the right hand to change sounds on my remote, as well as I pull it out when it is time to shoot. Most times, a long wait time would be 30 seconds - 60 seconds to pull the trigger. Even at -20, a hand with a glove liner can usually stand it for that long. As soon as the shooting is done, hand goes back in the pocket and I grab the warmer and a few seconds later, my hand is warm again. The electric warmers work way better than hothands, etc. Each one lasts about 3 hours, so I have 4 ready to go to last all night if necessary. Once the stand is over, I put my 2nd Mitt on for carrying everything back to the truck.

I used to carry a hand warming cuff when it got really cold. That works OK too, but just more stuff to take with you.

Agreed. My electric mitts only warm the top of my hands, so I use chemical warmers to keep the other side of my pinkies warm.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerHere's a little secret also. Your hands will learn to suck up the cold, I work with steel tools bare hand all winter then go coyote hunting on my free time.

MN winter last year was the coldest I have lived through, whole months with a few days that peaked at temps above zero. By February full moon last year I was sitting 45 minute stands in -10 without gloves as long as it wasnt too windy. Those crazy ice mountain climbers train their hands by holding them in ice water all the time. Ice is cheaper than gloves, start training.

Might work when you are young and don't know any better. I never liked to wear gloves , if I did they were thin. Always had warm hands even in the coldest days. Later in life I froze my hands badly and now they get cold all the time. Do some nerve damage and then see how tough your hands are.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerOne more reason to get some beaver mitts.

Have to hook a string on ,so I don't loose them !
lol.gif

I use the same type setup as Kirsch. Glove liners inside a flip open mitt. I use the Celestron : Thermotrek , rechargeable hand warmers.

Don’t leave home without them !!! I also bought 4. Love them !

Last edited:
Back